1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a 2001 3500 cummins what now?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by drivefaster35, Sep 14, 2010.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

I bought a 2001 Dodge cummins with 72000 miles on it. Reg cab and a 9 foot utility dump bed. Was wondering what you guys though about slapping a big 9.5 foot MVP Western plow with wings. Or do you think thats a little big for the front end. It just had new upper and lower ball joints put in and I'm sure once those start to go I'll upgrade them but anybody have any suggestions on what I should do to beef up the front end or what to look for etc??? I know you all have lots of experience with these trucks. Thanks
  2. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i think you'd be fine with a 8.5 v-wing that's more than enough..plus those diesels are extra heavy on those front axles. She's a tough truck but axles only can take so much.....and ball joints and u-joints
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go 9 1/2 with that truck. just load the body as far back as you can or if you have a sander that will work too. also make sure your trackbar is good may want to upgrade it to the 3rd gen kit and a steering box stabilizer. i dont know if they fit with the plow frame so you may have to do some measuring. good luck how about some pics of the rig :drinkup:
  4. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I would say to start with a aftermarket fuel system ie(airdog,fass) $500 but will save you buying a new injection pump $1200-1500 when the stock lift pump takes a dump and then if auto trans at least a upgraded valve body in your trans $450 gorend given your location and ball joints go with sealed lifetime warranty cost more up front $900 but i go through a set every year and have only paid for 1 and have got 3 so far. thats were I would start.
  5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Does your truck have the lift pump or do the 01's have the in tank fuel pump? Wire a fuel pressure gauge because low fuel pressure is death for your injection pump, I had a 99 dually with a dump body, I switched fuel pumps from the lift pump to the mopar intank fuel pump, which I think they came out with in the 01's, I had a 9 foot fisher MM with a snow foil and I ran double 5/8" x 8" cutting edges, the front end was pretty tough on that truck, and you won't believe how big a pile of snow that truck will push with little effort. Check your brake lines and transmission lines for corrosion, I had to replace all of mine due to rot, if they look weak you may want to do this before plow season because that's when they go for some reason.
  6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

if it has a in tank pump its a replacement for the o.e. pump thats up on the motor below the factory fuel filter and they still suck.
  7. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

It does have the lift pump and I am looking to get a warning light and wire it up that lights up when pressure drops belowe 5 psi but am looking to upgrade the trans and fuel system however hope that I can sneak by this season without doing anything major. When I bought it they just put new ball joints both uppers and lowers so i won't ahve to worry ab out them this year but will definitly upgrade them down the road when they need replaced.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The diesel is 1000 pounds full of fluid and all that. There is room for a bigger plow if you want. Mine is carrying the diesel, the NV-5600 manuel with the iron case at another 500 pounds, and extended cab AND a dirt old BOSS 9' 2" Vee with wings and some U Edge chunks. It is 1050 pounds. Been running this thing for 10 years. I have broken Dodge's biggest springs and their replacements, a set of MOOG Cargo Coils that were bigger in diameter. The MOOGs lasted 2 seasons.

I now have a set of SuperCoils on the front. I have had them on for 4 years. Love 'em. Makes your front end haul stuff like a 4500 sized truck.