1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought 2012 wide out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GCC, Dec 2, 2011.

1. GCC

GCC Junior Member

Hello I'm new to the forums been reading as a guest for a while thought I would join, So i went out yesterday and bought a 2012 western wide out will be installed next friday i will get pictures then. It will be mounted on an 05 F350 Crew cab long box dually.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Good choice, we have a blizzard 810 but have been considering moving towards the wideout for additional trucks

3. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

A wide out question... What are the advantages over a V plow? I'm new and learning too and there seem to be 2 camps on this.

Thanks

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i prefer v's for driveways and expandables for lots. unless the 9'2" v has wings (11' total) the wideout will outperform in lots.

if boss made expandables then id be all over them. I personally think they have the best fit/finish reliability on the market and my dealer is hands down amazing. my blizzard dealer sucks and i have to drive out to erie to see Jerre when i had the erie special performed.

5. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

Thanks!
    I'm going to retire back to Michigan and I've decided I'm going to slap a plow and a salt spreader on my Dodge Cummins Dually and hopefully just plow snow in the winters. What I have learned here on the forum over the last 2 weeks is invaluable.
    I’m leaning towards the Wide Out -today :)

6. GCC

GCC Junior Member

I personlly picked the wide out over the xls because dealer support, the western has 10 of everything in stock for it at all time great guys to deal with, also because i watched some videos on it and just can't see any more productive way to clear snow I used a skid steer last year with a 8ft blade but to many time i seen car just about drive into the back of the trailer, also I clean lots along with residentail drives so i sat down and figured its my best way to go. Now when i was at the dealer the owner said im one of the first people to buy a wide out in this area and that everyone else go to V's because they are more productive and when you really think of it you can push a 9ft scoop or a 8 ft V do the math what can carry more cubic yards.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I build plows every winter for a living and I plow at night for extra money; I bought the wide-out despite my experience with significantly more problems than the straight blades. I should know, I am the guy who has to fix them when they fail. Both the wide-outs and the Vs have about the same amount of troubles because they have almost the same number of moving parts and valves. I find that the V plows are, as others have said, are better for long narrow driveways where you can expect deep drifts and need to cut through quickly. Wide-outs are far better for big parking lots where you have the square footage to appreciate the ten foot blade. The wings are great too for controlling the overflow. I find the wide-out great for cutting close to the curbs, they are so flexible and the rubber edge scrapes the curbs without chipping them. I think the wide-out is easier on the trucks too. Too many people drive with the Vs in scoop mode which puts so much extra stress on the front end. You might reconsider putting the plow and the sander on the same truck. I find that this combination ends up causeing more damage to the plows because of the extra weight. When you hit something with the plow while the sander is loaded something has to give. I prefer two trucks so while one is plowing the other is following behind sanding simultainiously.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yes the math is right but There only so much you can do with a Wideout over a V plow
    Yes might out push a Vplow in a big lot
    But to get in that lot might be drifted in and thats when Vplow comes in play you can open entryways faster

I'm thinking adding a Wideout to my fleet but never Trade Vplows off

9. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I am also considering adding a wide-out to the fleet but will never trade my v-blade to get it.

10. the snowman

the snowman Junior Member

Love my wideout

I bought it 2 years ago with my 2500 HD and 2100lbs. of weight in the back it is the cats meow. I like the straight blade especially when you get a soft gravel lot or sod.The wings seem to keep it from digging in bad over the V. If it gets over about 3 feet deep I go get out the 2840 John Deere with the boss V blade and 8 ft. blower.

11. the snowman

the snowman Junior Member

western wideout

Does anyone know where the best place is to buy replacement rubbers for the wings. for the wideout?

12. GCC

GCC Junior Member

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

The one biggest thing from a wideout over a vee is in scoop mode on a wideout in scoop mode you can angle the blade right or left when going straight or around a corner as I have found this extremely helpful with my wideout . Now on a Vee plow in scoop more the blade is not able to be angled anyway So when going around a corner in scoop mode a person will see alot of trail off I hope this helps Get a Wideout you cant go wrong

14. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Try Fallline they have the Polly replacement s here is the link http://www.fallline.com/store/Resul...hat I am going to when I need to replace mine

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

16. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

i just bought one for my 2011 2500. when i raise the plow the truck barley moves

020.jpg

17. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Welcome to the party! 2012 Duramax ready for war...

007 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I wasn't aware that they still put the "Contractor Grade" decals on them....

19. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

^ beautiful