1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought 2002 2500 Ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Apr 19, 2003.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Hey guys, been a devoted GM guy my whole life, but after having so many problems with my last GMC I gave up and went to the Dodge dealer, and got a 2500 series Demo for a great price. Love the truck so far, rides a little rougher than the GM's but all in all I like it. Are there any problems that I should watch out for? I've got the 8 year 80,000 mile warranty but I still like to know what problems these trucks have had. Im planning on putting my 7.5 western Poly pro on it, any advice to plowing with it? Anything to watch out for?

THANKS for any help!!

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Give us some more details on the truck such as engine, trans, reg vs. quad cab. All in all the 2500 Ram is a good truck and will handle a 7.5 plow with ease. If you want to check on TSB's or recalls use this site http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html. If your truck is a diesel go here http://www.turbodieselregister.com/. That site also has alot of info regarding the entire truck in general so even if it's a gasser you will learn alot from browsing. Good luck with your new truck.

3. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Forgot to mention its got the 5.9 in it, and its the quad cab short bed.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I had a 2001 just like yours and it was a good truck. The only real problem I had was the radiator needed to be replaced because it had a leak and that was under warranty. Here is a pic of mine.

green dodge.jpg

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

GMC99,congratulations! Good luck with your new truck. I was once a devoted tried and true Gm man myself, The thing that made me jump ship was peeling paint,3 of my GMs had this issue,and on all 3 accounts Gm didnt make good on it.Now I also buy Dodges.Mine have been great trucks,no trouble at all,much better than my GMs .

6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Dodge Trucks.org is a good forum full of all kinds of info to mod that motor, quite easily, to yield better performance. The 46RE auto tranny is not the most bulletproof but with some care/attention it will last. I just wouldn't plow it hard though, unless you have it bulletproofed by a shop. That Ram's SFA is likely the reason for the ride difference from the Chevy. I didn't know DC offered an 8/80K warranty? If that motor starts pinging under heavy load, there was a TSB where they ****** the timing and you suffer some power loss. Skip that noise, and try the other mods first. Enjoy.

7. Shadowghost

Shadowghost Junior Member

Dodge makes a good truck, you shouldnt have many problems. Good choice.

8. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

sounds like you got a good truck. good luck with it.:)

10. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Well I've put almost 10,000 miles on and haven't had a single problem yet! Lets hope it stays that way! Only thing I've noticed is that it sounds like a lifter is going bad, the pinging noise comes and goes, but is now getting more frequent, have to make an appointment with the dealer to have it checked before it snows!

THANKS for all your help

11. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

There's a TSB on the pinging for the 5.9. Unfortunately the fix is for the dealer to flash the PCM and it retards the timing = less power!:( Check everything else before they ****** the timing, if it should come to that. My former Ram had that done to it and the power loss affected my towing somewhat.

One word of advice: when ordering parts for your '02 2500 make d@mn sure the parts geek knows full well you are not talking Next Gen Ram. Many parts catalogs/PC screens show the 2002 Ram as a Nest Gen. Too often I get that and it ends up as wrong parts! I find it easier to tell them '01 BR2500 Ram.

12. Bighammer

Bighammer Member