1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Bidded and got Laughed at

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ChawpShop, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ChawpShop

ChawpShop Junior Member
    from Toronto

What would you guys charge per season for this place below. It is the gas station on the top.

Total Square feet to be plowed=30,000

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=newmar...764,-79.436002&spn=0.000965,0.002406&t=h&z=19

Like I understand this is our first year plowing for ourselves but theres gotta be a serious lowballer doing it now.Please let me know what you guys think and I will post what he says his current contract is paying, salt included...Garunteed to make some laugh.

Located in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.

2. ChawpShop

ChawpShop Junior Member
    from Toronto

Sorry meant to add 09 f350 8' plow with salter in the box.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8,000 for the year.plus salt.

So Cet under bid you?

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

5. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Just throwing numbers out there, I say around $6K for the season (Nov-Mar) = $1200/mo, salt included. I base if off 35hrs/season and about 4 tons of salt total.

I'd be a "lowballer" compared to GV.:cry::cry:

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

That would be the Esso with the Tims on the corner-right?

My guess is it went for $2500-$3000 for the winter, salt in.

They get alot more snow there than Toronto does.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not far from me.

$3000 salt in, and that might be high.

8. ChawpShop

ChawpShop Junior Member
    from Toronto

Well, everyone is still too high. 2320.00 is his current lowest bid. Salt included. Now maybe some of the newmarket guys can help. Is this guy known as cheap or is that what a property like that goes for? If so my other contracts should be phoning the police because I've robbed them. He said blade cutters used to do them for 3600 two years ago.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Who submitted that price?

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the gas stations see very little salt. I could put $15 in salt in that place. At most it is a 30 min plow.

22 plows @ 30 min=11hours.
    40 salts @ $15=600

2320-600 leaves 1720.00

We drive right by that place a few times a snow fall and the salt truck wouldn't be there 5 minutes. Could I do it for that, yes, would I, no.

I also don't think that is 30,000' of pavement, it looks small to me.

11. ChawpShop

ChawpShop Junior Member
    from Toronto

He wouldnt say, believe me I wish I knew...Have you bidded there before?

12. In The Hills

In The Hills Junior Member

Well I'm glad to see my pricing isnt out to lunch.

I bid $3000 with salt for a similar sized place (and we get a lot more snow than Toronto)

Got beat by $2000 !!!

Told him give me a call when he's stuck because buddies '72 Jeep with it's Snowbear Plow is broken and I'll do for $300 a push.

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW, if you could plow that place in 30 mins i think i'd like to sub you to do some work for me ! about 10 routes actually

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have never bid that place.

Does that place look like a lot of work. That is the gas pumps on the south side and there are only 4 pumps wide. You can see by the parking spaces that it is quite small.

I also have an 8'6" VEE with wings.

I believe the 30,000 sq' is counting buildings.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know Blade Cutters?

16. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I'm with GV at least 7.500 plus salt. Gas staitions are a pita, lots of traffic and idiots to deal with. Plus the insurance is crazy.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

And there's a Tim Hortons in this one so you know the morning rush is going to be nuts.

Hitting the lids must wake you up also.

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8,000.00 for the year plus a cup of coffee every time i plow the drive thu!

19. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Ya those tank lids are insanely expensive when you mess them up. You have to replace the whole tank neck and sensor costs like 20k.

20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha, my thoughts exactly. I used to do one that size a few years back. 24 hour operation and there was always someone in the way no matter what time it was. The helps cars are always in the way too. I bet that ones 30,000 s.f. The one I did was just a wee bit more, and the car wash lanes were a bite in the ass. The best time I ever pulled on that one was probably 40 minutes plowing, and that was moving out. Usually took closer to an hour with the constant traffic. If it was really busy I would bring in another truck and use it to block traffic were we needed too.
    Not sure how much salt cost in canada but the station I did always got about 500 #s, or more. Quite a bit more then $15.00 worth.

I charged more then Grandview, its was great account :nod:

Who is doing walks ?