1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just another newbi with a question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay albers, May 8, 2009.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

thinkin of joinin in on the fun,and the money.lol Have a chevy 1500 4x4 96. lookin for the best plow for it. also wondering where is the best place to pick up a used one? ebay? And should i look for the whole set up?Should i get a frame seperate? are the frames different for diferrent trucks? i would assume. i see lots of plows on ebay but no frames. help me out guys.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For a 1/2 ton truck, you want a 7' or 7 1/2' plow. Brand is not the important factor, just remember "you get what you pay for". Manual angle plows are the cheapest, but a real pain for commercial use. Stick with electric over hydraulic. Yes, the "attachment" part of a plow is unique to each brand/size/year of truck. From the questions you're asking, I'd strongly suggest sticking with new and pay to have it installed by the dealer. Buying used can get real expensive, real quick.

Look up the website for some of the brands shown at the top of this page. You'll get a good, quick education.

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I mean Im not bias or anything... but I would get yourself a nice Fisher SD series.... The blade comes in 7 and 7 1/2 feet. It isn't like the like baby plows, Homesteaders, but its a step up from that for people who want to do more than just their driveway... Just a suggestion... I would also, like Mick said... buy new... and have dealer installed... if you have to buy an old blade and you only get the blade and headgear(lights area) Then you will have to buy the mount for the truck and also you will have to buy a controller and have the truck wired.... You will be looking at a lot of money really fast buying used.

4. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

get what's in your budget range and look on kijiji and craigslist you can get good plow's a a fraction of the price and you don't have to worry about being scamed good to have a dealer near you to know witch brand to pick. you should be able to even put a 8' plow on that

5. Mick

from Maine

???

You have a lot more trust than I do. Seriously, you need to know what you're doing when buying used equipment. Lots of "wear points" that might "look good" but be ready to go. Finding that "truck side" attachment, wiring harness etc can tricky.

6. Mick

from Maine

I was kind of "slow" - I just figured out you were being facetious about no scams. There are scams all over Craig'sList. Some guy keep trying sell nonexistant heavy equipment from all over the country. One of those "too good to be true" deals - like a $60,000 loader for $5,000.

7. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Milton's right about craigslist you can find some good deals. But I would not recommend hanging an 8 ft plow off of a 1500 thats a lot of weight even with a 7'-6" you should look into front suspension helpers like timbrens or air bags

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

7' balde is to small for the width of that truck, 7.5 would be the ideal balde for the truck. Mounts are vehicle specific, nice thing about that truck is that the mount to fit your truck covers a wide range of years so the mount should be easy to find used. Good used blades are out there, just have to find them, good place to start is right here on this site in the for sale/wanted to buy section. If you think youve found something but not sure if it will fit you truck just post and ask, theres a couple of use that can tell you extacly what parts you will need for the make of plow your looking at.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer service and support is VERY important. Especially at 3 in the morning.