1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just about rediculous..

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Apr 20, 2007.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have the '04 F-250 like most know. Truck has 70,000 miles on it now. I know we all snowplow, but damn! This truck eats ball-joints and tie-rods like I eat McDonalds! :dizzy: I had all new ball-joints and rods installed in Nov. 2006 and the truck is in today for round 2 of the same thing. This is about rediculous! I think in about a year a new Dodge is going to be bearing my business logo on its side! I cant complain a whole lot though, the repair shop is going to warranty out the left side ball-joints for free....:rolleyes:

Does everyone have this problem with Fords or what? I know plowing is hard on this stuff and repairs like this go with the territory but geez!:)

2. payton

payton Senior Member

dodges have issues also . its part of having a life front axle the weight of the plow is well a lot.

payton

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

As I knock on wood im on my originals with 70,000 miles.

In your case, it sounds like the mechanic did not install them right? i dunno, 6 months is waay to short of a life. If and when mine go, im going to replace them with the greasable balljoints that are available hoping that will be my last set ill ever have to change.

4. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

My buddy has the same problem with his 05

5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

POPO who is doing your work?

6. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i like the idea of a new dodge to replace the ford.:D

7. NoFearDeere

The local MIDAS shop, I went there because my neighbor is the manager and knows his stuff but I was going to take it this time to my actual mechanic until they said "We will warranty the parts and labor for half of the job." :rolleyes:

I'm still :angry: :angry: about it!

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Where are you located? There are several of us in your area that could point you to a good shop. You got what you paid for at MIDAS.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Even the older Fords average 30K between major parts replacement. Most of the guys I have talked to with late 80's into the 90's noticed the same thing. My 89's the same way.
    But I do them myself.
    I would not take anything to Midas!!!!!
    I have heard way too many stories of them ripping off people.
    They wanted $90 to align my truck, all they had to do is set the toe in. Your not going to get the camber bushings to move.

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Are you replacing them with Moog? They are greaseable as the stock and cheaper aftermarkets are not.

11. NoFearDeere

I'm really starting to wonder that....

12. doh

doh Senior Member

The 2008's finally have grease fittings in them, should help out alot.

13. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Just about rediculous

YEH! replacing a DODGE Tranny! every 100,000 miles! thats a Great IDEA!--

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Only a couple of years have tranny problems.:rolleyes:

ALL trucks can and will have a problem (s) of some sort.
    I prefer a solid axle for plowing over IFS.

15. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Personally, I stay away from chain stores for repairs.

That being said, I have a couple Ford trucks and have had 3 sets of ball joints go, all at varying mileage. So far, I've only replaced all of them once. Get a good set of ball joints that are greaseable, not the same junk Ford installed in the first place.

Jim, instead of a Dodge, of which I believe you own one, what would you suggest as a replacement truck that won't break down?