1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just a tip

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Feb 7, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, just fyl for those of you that install your plows yourselfs, and or have a dealer do the install, keep a close eye on the bolts on the under carriage. I had mine fall off today while I was plowing, it wasn't fun. Luckly I had the truck and plow in a lot I was doing. I noticed the plow not going up very high, and they I noticed it saging to one side alot more than the other side. Got out of the truck and said AH SH!T! I droped the plow at the lot and pushed it to the base of this snow bank, and went to the shop and started to work on it. I didn't want to crack the frame of the truck with the mount like that and plow plow bouncing around on it. Luckly I hadn't done anything to the frame of the truck, or the mount. I waited for it to thaw out, so I could fix it, and then went back out. and finished up.

Ryan

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

WOW, Thats a new one to me LOL

Thanks for the heads up!!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They call it preventative maintenance Ron :D :).

A good reminder there Ryan, I find many bolts loose in mounts and plows.

It's very important to re-torque all the bolts on a new install after it's been run a few times. But few actually get done. Can save a lot of headaches later though..

4. tssmokeya

tssmokeya Junior Member
    from ohio

ryan - I still got that 8' straight boss for sale.would really like to get it out of my way !! this is the on in ohio. give me a call if your still looking. 740-225-0505
    thanks, Scott

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Scott what you got and how much?

6. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I have re-torqued my mount bolts 3 times this year, on a new install. Last checkup I was missing a nut on one of the bolts to the frame. I cant figure out how they get so loose so often.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Its really weird. When I installed it I torqued them to spec. I was pretty pissed off. But now after I go out, and after it is washed up I am gonna check and make sure all bolts are tight and torqued to spec.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Some Loctite when assembling probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Did that. I bought the red stuff too. Not the blue.

10. derekbroerse

Did that when you assembled it, or now that you've REassembled it?

Red loctite usually takes heat to make them move afterwards... I wonder if its more a case of something settling that makes play rather than bolts and nuts backing off...?

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

When I first assembeled it, and again after the fact. I accually think it is from the plow moving around on the mount ya know. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

12. Stankonya

Stankonya Junior Member

Last week when the snow had let up had the plow off the truck and I put my foot on the mount to knock slush off and it was loose. 2 of the 3 big bolts were loose and one by the tow hook. Went and bought all new bolts put them in with loctite and its been good since plowed maybe 4 times since the fix.

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Well atleast you caught it before the fact.

14. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

So they were predicting a major storm for today, so yesterday I pulled the truck in the shop to check it all over. I found that out of the 6 bolts that hold the undercariage to the truck 3 were loose and 1 was missing. DaMn it I said. Tightened everything up and replaced the missing bolt, added loctite again. Hopefully this lasts through the rest of the season what a PITA.

As a side note, Everything was checked just prior to the first storm (12/1).

So keep your eyes on your hardware!

15. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

My guys can't even go home to sleep until every bolt and nut is checked, fluids filled, truck washed, trash in cabs removed, time log filled out, and fully fueled. It takes some an extra hour to go through their truck. Their truck is their paycheck, no working truck, no paycheck. I am very adamant about this. I have had guys quit because they thought I was a dictator.

Jon

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you used red locktite and it still came loose, your doing something wrong. We only use blue and havn't had any problems. Are you sure your not over tightening the bolts? Once it comes loose, you also have to replace the bolts or it will never stay tight. We put red paint marker lines on our bolts on our snow frames on our tractors, then you can see at a quick glance, if they've worked loose. I'm glad you didn't hurt anything.:drinkup:

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thats crazy that guys would quit because they think you were dictating. I am very adamant about getting my truck washed and what not to but I have the time to sleep again for a few hours and let my truck thaw out. Like ya said "no working truck, no paycheck." Kinda how I think of it too.

All the bolts were tightened down with the red thread locker, and torqued to factory spec. I have no Idea what I could of done worng?. But I do know that all the bolts are going to be getting checked everyweek.

Ryan

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Try marking the bolts, it works very well and then you can just look at it and know if it's moved.:drinkup:

19. derekbroerse

I like the paint markers... always intended to do it but never did. Then again, mine are probably well-rusted in place by now. I have one problem bolt between all of them, the threaded holes are damaged in a block in the frame... and nothing seems to work. Gonna tack weld the bolt head and do something later, its going to involve removing the whole mount to reach it properly.

Also, if you've got nuts on your bolts, try replacing them with locknuts. Preferably not the Nylock type, there are some all-steel ones out there that work magnificently. Put them on with Loctite and you'll probably need to cut them off later.

20. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I need to check mine as well. Maybe today.