1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just a stupid question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim Prill, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I have always owned and used old western cable operated plows. I recently purchased a older meyers e-47 7.5 plow (steel) 83 vintage. I found a recipt for a servicing in 2000 including new fluid. I think the meyers is slower than the westerns, I am not trying to start a who is better debate I was just wondering if anyone has noticed this. If not would fresh fluid and battery cables speed things up a bit. :confused: :confused:

2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

change the fluid and filters, and make sure you get all the air out and you will probably see a big difference. I wouldn't replace the cables unless they are in poor condition or are undersized.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

as far as ever being faster or even close that wont happen. i have a meyer that is only 4 years old and even when it was new it never ran even close to a western. might wanna check the pressure too

4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Cable plow? Anyone have a photo?

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Come on Bolens...cable plows aren't that old, I still run a few Western Pro Plows that were made in the late 70's, they were only discontinued in 1981! :eek:

6. bolensdriver

There are hardly any Western plows here. Mostly Fisher, Diamond, and Everest.

We have many Meyer/Diamond dealers here, but people mostly buy the Diamond. No truck/vehicle dealerships around here sell anything but Fisher. One dealership (Dodge), used to sell Fisher and Sno-Way, and sold a few Sno-Ways, but discontinued the sale on them, and stayed with Fisher.

In the phone book, and as far as I know, there are no dealers around here, except for as I've said, Meyer/Diamond, Fisher, and Everest, and so, that's what's bought mostly. There are a few SnowBears though. I've never seen a Blizzard here yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You could go with an E-57 upgrade kit, and close to double your lift and angle speeds.

8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

The cable controls the valves in the pump. The cable does not lift the plow if that was what you were thinking. Here is a picture of the pump. The cables run into the side and control the valves.
    [​IMG]

9. bolensdriver

Thanks. :waving:

10. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

Thanks for the help I will change the fluid and filters. I just miss the speed of the westerns. Also for checking the pressure, do I use a hydraulic gauge? :waving: