1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just a question!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by UnderTakr, Oct 1, 2009.

1. UnderTakr

UnderTakr Junior Member
    from Kansas

Is there any other type of fluid i can use to flush a system instead of buying the meyers flushing fluid? Its pretty high in price around my town! I thought i seen a post of some other chemical u can use without hurting the o-rings and seals! Any info would be appericated!!

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

As for a flushing agent, I personally use Naptha which is not cheap either but you buy it by the gallon. You can get it at Tractor Supply and Walmart and I'm sure other places as well. Some of the guys use Kerosene but then you have to flush that out of the system with Naptha. I guess you can't leave any of the Kerosene in it what so ever. Then there are some that say you don't have to worry about it. If things are really dirty and you have to flush it several time, then I would use the Kerosene as it is cheaper and then use the Naptha on the last time.
    I'm sure that other will chime in with their thoughts.

Here is the quote from Meyer's service manual:

Flush the complete system including unit, hoses and Power
    Angling rams with a non wax (Napthenic) cleaner. If
    kerosene (Parrafinic) is used to flush the system, the
    system must be flushed again to remove any kerosene
    with a (Napthenic) based cleaner that is wax free .

Good luck.

3. ddlawncare

ddlawncare Junior Member

My meyer/diamond manual says to flush system withclean mineral spirits or hydaulic oil.hope that helps.

4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I have a Fisher, but the idea is the same, Their fluid is overpriced, too. I use Buyers fluid, which I can get at my local NAPA. I've never flushed any of my plows with anything but hydraulic oil, so I can't comment on the naptha or the Meyer flushing fluid.

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I can understand changing from Kerosene to Mineral Spirts because Meyer never actually recommended using Kerosene from what I read. But they did say in their previous manual (which has changed), that if you do use it to flush and clean the system, that you should use a Napthenic based cleaner or their Hydra Flush that is wax free to get rid of any Kerosene left in the system and then put in the recommended plow oil. Now the manual is actually saying to use Mineral Spirts or Hyraulic oil to flush and then put in the recommended plow oil. They didn't even mention their Hydra flush which is sort of cutting their own throat being they sell it. So I would assume that getting out all the Mineral Sprits is as not necessary like getting all the Kerosene out.

If you read all the back posts or use the Search tab, the guys will swear by this and that to clean their systems as well as which oil to use. Logic tells me that if my regular plow fluid would clean it so good like Meyers is saying, then dump it out and replace it, you won't need to flush it.
    Of course I have noticed a lot of junk come out with the flush that didn't come out with the plow fluid. So much for using plow fluid as a flushing agent.

Remember one thing! All decisions are made because of money.
    You will notice that if you do a Search on Flushing or which oil to use. Not to mention, anything in Life in general.

Hopefully some of our real pros that take these system apart can elaborate some more on this subject.