1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just a question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike33087, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

as many of you know i usually plow for my town, but this year i've decided to go out on my own and do mostly residentials. so far so good, it seems slow getting accounts but thats probably to be expected being a new company and all.

so heres my question

average driveway i charge about 40 for 1-6 inches, then add 15 for the 6-12 inche range, then add 20 for anything over 12. say i have to go to the driveway more than once in like a big storm do i charge them twice or just the once? id like to try out a couple of different ways to charge so any suggestions on how you all do it would help

2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

You need to charge twice. I would ask them you want me to come once in the middle of the storm or wait till the snow stops all my residential customers want me to wait till it stops.But I am sure they wouldn't mind if I did it twice if 1 time I did it for free.You go twice charge twice.If they say anything ask them would you go to work for 2 days and take one days pay?Always gets them:D

RCGM
    Brad

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What I have done in the past is charge them full price for both trips. That is before I got the truck with the plow. I was using snowblowers at the time. But I would still charge two times even though I have the truck. The only reason I would have the second truck with blowers out there as well doing drives too.

JP

4. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

We have always billed full price for the first push and then half price for each additional push. What this ultimately means is that for the small storms of 2"-5" we will bill $40.....6"-9" we bill $60.....10"-14" we bill $80 etc., etc., etc. From the business stand point the maximum profit is made at the first full price level; ie. One push=full price charge. Our experience has shown that the tough part is getting going...getting the gear ready, getting people out of bed and into the trucks and getting the job done. Once we are in the trucks we can just keep going. If you average $40 per driveway and can plow 20 driveways in 4 hours (stop now if you can't get 20 done in 4 hours) that equals $800. Divide $800 by 4 hours and you make $200/hour. If you have to plow all the driveways twice and bill them one and a half times (Average $60) times 20 driveways equals $1200 for 8 hours. $1200 divided by 8 hours is still $150 per hour. That beats the hell out of plowing for any local town for $45-$65 per hour. IMO to get and retain a good customer base it will be tough to charge full price for every visit.

5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hey

hey katwalk,
    thats the plan i was thinking of going with, my uncle told me thats what he usually does and it worked out great for him for the last 20 years. Where are you located on the North shore? im up in danvers.