1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just a few questions?

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by duramaxed, Mar 8, 2007.

1. duramaxed

duramaxed Junior Member

Hello all I was curious to know why the steel cutting edges wear down so fast? I don't have the shoes on because they broke off the first plowing on the 1 plow and the second plowing on the other plow. We also have 2 westerns with no shoes and the cutting edges last probably 3-4 times longer. We just replaced the edges on both are western and curtis plows and after approximately 40 hrs of plowing, the curtis are worn right to the moldboard and ready for a flip(which I don't understand the need for center bolt holes). On the other hand, the western edges, you can barely notice any wear.
    Also I would like to know why, between both curtis plows , we've had app. 45 bolts break off? These are curtis bolts installed by a curtis dealer. I get out of the truck during a storm to check the plow every now and then, more than once have seen the edge being held on by 1 or 2 bolts! Is there a specific torque?
    One more thing, the plow doesn't seem to trip properly. If you are going at a snails pace(and I mean barely moving) it will trip, but if you are going regular plow speed, the truck jams and the plow goes straight up, it's quit the jolt inside the truck. I have adjusted the springs a couple of times but have not been able to find the right combination of to lose to tight
    Any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Dura, It is funny I was just thinking about starting a thread on cutting edges! Take and double up your cutting edge? Once you ware them down you can flip the two together. You will find they will last so much longer when they are doubled up! You will have a 1 inch cutting edge instead of only a half inch. I plow for my town and on one storm I wore right thru one then when I doubled up I noticed I got 4 times the hours on the cutting edge! also the curb side takes a beating so you can take a piece off an old blade and weld it on and make the ends last much longer! try it iI think you will find a great difference!

Mak,

3. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I forgot to mention the first storm I plowed after I bought my new Curtis I snapped of every bolt and left the cutting edge in the street? I had only been plowing for about 4 or 5 hours when this happened? I wondered how tight they torqued the bolts at the factory? Maybe they even forgot? Since I have been changing the cutting edge myself I haven't had a problem. Oh! I plowed about two miles with the trip edge until I went back too where I left my cutting edge in the street? I'm lucky I spotted it before it got burried in the windrow from another town plow? What a day that was!

Mak.