1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just a few questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FIREMAN Q, Sep 23, 2005.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I was wondering how you guys charge for bagged salt. I know that most guys are charging 2 or 3x cost for mix but do you do the same for the bagged salt.

I got a few prices from my local dist. and 0 degree melt it costs about $11 for a 50# Bag. The lot i was looking at using the bagged salt is 50K sq ft. That about 16 -20 bags. quick math thats about $200. cost. I can't imagine charging $400 to spread this.

I have to use bagged salt for storage reasons.

The other question is can i get away with just using rock salt or should i stay away from that. Of course the rock salt is half the price.

I haven't looked into the magic salt dist. in my area but i think i will be doing that.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are salting a commercial lot, normal pavement then rock salt should be fine. Buying bag salt is expensive but if that is your only option then that is what you have to do. Charge what you feel is fair and what you need to cover your overhead and make a profit. We spread only bulk and it is half the price of bagged.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

:waving: i get my salt for $5.00 a bag and i charge $45 to the customer. for the lot that size you are in the ballpark of $400.00 you have to remember that you have the labor cost in with the salt price. pluse your time too.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Just so I get this straight...you charge $45 for a bag that costs u $5.???

that's some profit
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

fireman do a search bud. There is around 100 threads (on this topic)for you to look over.
    Lots of great info. Just make sure you have lots of time to sit and read. :D
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Use rock salt, it works better, lasts longer,and you can get it for about $3.00/ 50lbs. bag. What are you gonna be spreading this salt with?

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

i'm looking to get a pro flow 2. I will also be spreading mix for most of my accounts.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

i did some searching. Now the newest question i have is... if i use straight rock salt which has a 20 degree melt temp. So does that mean if we are in a cold spell (i'm in new england it happens all the time) is the rock salt going to be useless until it warms up. For you guys that only use salt what do you do at this point. Does the rocks salt provide for any traction???

9. lush&green

lush&green Junior Member

Fireman, you should look into Magic. If you can load a yard in the back of the truck before the storm and load it from buckets or shovel it will save you a ton of $$$$. It won't cause rust and won't clump. I know folks that do that and it works great.
  10. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

Fireman Q: Take a look @ Lesco Melt (zero degree melt temp). It works wonders for us, we put it down with a spreader and by hand (old Gain landury bottles) for walkways & condo driveways . Lesco in Ledyard will help you out. Ask for Gary. They also delivery to your house and stack it for free!
    As for pricing$$! Each time we put it down, we get 3x's the price of the bag. Each bag covers about 250 Sq. Good Luck! Hope for a lot of snow in CT (shoreline)
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Okay, I know you did some searching so you may have already gotten an answer, but.. your going to have to buy a $1500 salter, put lots of wear and tear on your truck which means preventive maintenance $$$, your time to locate, buy, store the salt. You also better have G.L. to cover your butt if someone slips and falls and sues you, and that costs big bucks, mine is around 5 grand. Since your truck is carrying a 800lb plow, a 150 lb salter, and 2000 lbs of salt, your going to be getting about 6 mph at $3-$4 per x 30 gal = a crap load of money. $45 bucks ain't sounding too bad now is it.

For the record I charge a service fee for salting than about 15% more per bag than what you could buy it for at Home Depot, for me this is easyier to explain to the customer. Example, lets say it will take you 25-35 min to salt the lot plus 20 bags. You charge $100 for the service call + $114.31 for the rock salt ($4.97 current H.D. price + 15% = $5.71 x 20 = $114.31) Now since you buy the rock salt wholesale, you actually paid $3.55 per bag, your markup is $2.16 or a profit of $43.20 + $100 Service call = $143.20 profit (less all the other tangibles, but nonetheless your profit starting point) for 25 -35 minutes worth of work.

Hope this helps, oh I use just plain rock salt, although one of my lots has a steep hill in it and I probably am going to use a treated for that. As far as your question regarding really cold temps. The rock salt has some traction to it but not a lot, mostly what happens is everything is so hard and bumpy when its that cold that the few people that do go out walk more careful.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2005