1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just a couple questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by btrussell, Nov 18, 2004.

1. btrussell

btrussell Member

Ok I have 2 questions. 1) I bought a western ultra mount last winter and used it only one day because we didnt get any snow last year. I was wondering if I need to change the fluid in the plow or if it would be ok for this season. I read somewhere that they can build up condensation in the motor and if not changed the water in the line could freeze. Is this true? I live 2 hours from the nearest western dealer and they dont ship the hydraulic fluid and im thinking about going to get some next week but figured I'd ask.
    2) I also was wondering that since i only plow my house and like 8 other driveways if it would be worth it to get insurance.
    Thanks for your input.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you want, you could order hydraulic fluid from supply companies online.

As to the insurance, yes. Unless you want to put yourself, your family's security and everything you own at risk. One serious medical claim....$$$ One death as a result of your plowing.... $$$$$$$$$$$
  3. btrussell

btrussell Member

Thanks I appreciate the input and ill look into insurance. What online suppliers might you be talking about?
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You can order fluid straight from western themselves. I personally change my fluid at the beginning of each season no matter how much I plowed the year before.
  5. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I would not change the fluid. The plow is only one year old so the fluid will not have broken down. If you do a ton of plowing this year you can always change it mid season. I know someone who plowed for 4 years without changing the fluid. When he did change it the fluid was black. He now changes it every year and has not had any problems with the plow (97 Western straight blade).
  6. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hmmmmm, i was all ready to change mine, i guess i just will!
  7. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

If you plow for $ you need insurance! There is no exception.
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You couldn't have put that better Butler. :nod:
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Considering the amount of fluid you will need costs less then $20 and a new pump is hundreds you can answer that question. :)
  10. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

11. btrussell

btrussell Member

Hey mebes thanks for the link it looks handy and ill probably use it.
  12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Change the fluid, its not the fact that the fluid is only a year old with just one plowing on it, its the fact that the plow has been sitting all spring, summer and fall and has collected condensation in the tank.

We built a brand new plow and didnt put fluid in it and set it ouside in august last year, grab it 3 months later and drain over a pint of water out of the tank.
  13. btrussell

btrussell Member

Damn crash. Ok you got me convinced I'll get to it this week hopefully.
  14. btrussell

btrussell Member

Thanks to all who have replied you have been very helpful. Heres another question though. I was looking online and found this high performance hydraulic fluid for western plows. This might sound dumb but is this equivalent to the western brand fluid? Just wondering because my dealer told me that I neede the western brand fluid because my pump is a breathing pump so I need a fluid with low freezing temp. Does this hydraulic fluid sound ok? Don't mean to sound picky just don't want to screw anything up.
    Thanks again
  15. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I just changed my fluid today and I bought the high performance oil from my western dealer so far its seems to be working great, I was a little leary of putting it in since its blue but I decided to try it and so far so good. My dealer told me that the high performance oil absorbs any condinsation that might get in the pump.
  16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You only need a fluid that meets the same specs as what Western recommends. For a company to legally insist that you use only their fluid, they have to provide it to you for free. Your manual will tell you what type of oil is needed. You will most likely find the same oil in other makes at your local auto parts.
    It's a good idea to change the oil and clean the filter screen. You'll be surprised at the crud you'll find on the screen on a nearly new plow.
  17. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

btr, I know what fluid your talking about and its ok to use.