1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just a comment!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by grsp, Nov 4, 2008.

1. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

since it seem that i offended seem folks on here in one of the last threads, i wanted to post a new thread on the topic. and i believe this is the spot to put it. if you are sub-contracting work to someone else, either your grandmother or walmart, you need to follow the laws! and as soon as you put a plow on the front of your truck, with intentions to make money with it, it is a commercial vehicle. so the law states that it must have a DOT number on it. and for the guys that aren't meating the insurance requirements, thanks. that is one of the reasons why this industry carries the highest rates. now listen, there is plenty of work for everyone. lets just all play by the same rules. when you have to pay for all the extra crap that goes into operating a company legally, tell me what you think of plowing for $30 an hour. hell, i reviewed some old invoices of ours from 1987, when gas was $1.50 gallon, and we charged $30 an hour. and insurance has tripled in the last 10 years. i would like to hear from guys that understand the pain this industry is going thru, and agrees that henry homeowner with his 1 truck and not a thorough understanding of the industry is cutting the throats of the guys that do!

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

True, True, True! whats worst is the regonal and natl companies who sell a job sub it to another co who subs to henry at $45/hr. Theres tons of henry's so a reputable co bids lower than $100 / hr and has a gross profit of 55%. while hiring a bunch of subs. Most commercial customers wont hire henry but in reality are paying a national co $55 more an hour to have henry plow there lot? This is a successful business plan, look ot the size of some regional and natl co's. However many customers see through this and Know it costs money to do things right, and they want my trained professional staff using the most effeicent equipment and techniquis with saftey in mind on there properties. These are who you need to focus on.

I do feel the pain though we lost 12 sites to low bids, and added 14 new ones. most lost accts in our history

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

DOT requirements depends on your state.

Here is Michigan.

1. Question: Who needs to obtain a Michigan Intrastate USDOT number?

Answer: All carriers or operators of commercial motor vehicles that operate solely in the state of Michigan. A Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in commerce as defined in Act 181, PA 1963, CFR 49, part 390.5 when the vehicle:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 lbs. or more, whichever is greater; or
    Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 51 transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter 1, subchapter

Other then that I am all for those who run legit.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Here in PA we don't need a DOT unless going out of state. And if anyone can make $$$$ plowing at $30 an hour.... PLEASE TELL ME HOW!

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i say the hell with henry homeowner. we are here to make money out of a profesional buisness.......

i havent seen teh cut-throat portion of the industry that most of you have but i feel youre pain.....everyone in my area with a skidsteer is a profesional excavator :rolleyes:

pj