1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jumping into it -

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by OhioDale, Jan 9, 2014.

1. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello All -

I am considering jumping into the world of plowing and have a question...but I'm sure its been asked a hundred times before. I have searched through 38 pages of this forum and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I figured it would be better use of my time to just ask.

I am looking to purchase a plow to go on my 2013 Chevy 2500HD (6.0 Gas) Crew Cab 4x4

I will plowing (for the foreseeable future but not limited to) residential driveways for family and friends - some of them are rather long and one has some elevation changes. (which for those that know NW Ohio- isn't much)

I have a Dealer that sells Boss, Western, and possibly Meyer Snowplows exactly 1 mile from my house and plan to purchase it there for the ease of installation, parts, and service.

My question - which plow to get - I am leaning towards a V plow and possibly a Western but I do not know why - I haven't really priced them but I know the ball park range

so....please help me out - which brand? and why? and which model?

Thanks in advance for your help

OhioDale

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

All you are going to get are the exact same answers that are given in every "what plow should I buy" thread.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ this ^^^^

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

And it will turn into an all out war on which is best and why.

Good luck!

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Gonna try to not be biased here in any way. Boss makes a great product no doubt about it but the mount is very bulky. Another pro(or con, depends on how you look at it) is that the Boss lights dont switch to the plow from the truck automatically, you have control of it. The Western, when the recievers are removed, has a very slim mount. Boss is direct lift and full or dual trip, the Western is chain lift and trip edge. Both available in poly or steel, Boss DXT available in stainless. Western blade skins can be swapped for the Fisher stainless ones. Western has double acting, locking wing cylinders. Boss has Smartlock optional, with single acting rams and return springs.

6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I think the smartlocks are standard now, but not 100% sure. I know some Boss dealers would not sell a Boss V without the smartlocks in the past.

7. Billious

Billious Member

Since the OP missed every other thread that dealt with "what plow should I buy", i'm going to summarize:

DEALER SUPPORT. Find the dealer that will provide you the best service (think middle of the night during the storm of the century) and buy the most plow your truck will handle that you can afford.

THREAD CLOSED.

8. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

i wish there was a way to like/ agree with people on plowsite xysport

9. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

I know my dealer personally and like I said - he deals both and is only 1 mile from my house so great service will not be an issue and they sell both Western & Boss.

I am strictly looking to hear both pros and cons of both

thanks

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

And what we are saying is there are tons of threads already covering that.

Yes this website is so we can provide you with information but most of us get tired with the mundane questions like this that get asked over and over.

11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I run fishers because I like trip edges. All the plows you are looking at are full trip plows so they are basicly the same. I would go with the western but I have never run either so...........

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I suggest you buy a used plow truck and try it out for a while. You're going to be laying down a big hunk of coin to do the occasional driveway for family and / friends, and unless you're doing this for fun, it will take about a million thank you's, and truckloads of fresh baked cookies to make your $$ back.

Once you move beyond the close knit family route, you'll be needing to purchase insurance, both commercial auto and GL slip and fall. I guess you could be the "guy with a truck and a plow" out there ruining the market for legitimate contractors, but if something goes wrong and you're not protected from a legal standpoint, you potentially could lose everything... home, savings, etc. fighting the lawsuits that come flying at you, possibly decimating your personal finances.

Besides reading the immense amount of threads here about which plow, I would talk to your local dealer and see what they have in mind for your truck, what incentives there are, and what they include with your purchase. You'd get better deals in the off season, as purchasing in the peak can have you at a premium.

You tube search each brand and see what versatility each has in plowing. I would love to get a V-plow, myself, but the reality is my old Unimount works great, and cost me next to nothing to buy. I'm going to get a set of wings for it for the larger lots I do, but other than that, it's been a great tool for me, as it's simple to fix, maintain, and the parts aren't expensive comparatively to a V-plow. It still does the job, albeit not as efficiently as a v-plow would do under certain circumstances.

Good luck with your research and decision making. Post a few pix of your truck when you get it all sorted out.