1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jump start issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lazarus, Nov 22, 2009.

1. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

not too knowledgable with vehicles but just enough to get by. having some issues with my 88 f250 this year. seems like i have to jump it every time i need to start it and when i do get it started and go to lift or turn the plow the truck dies. have to rejump to start. what gives.?? battery is still quite new

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check your electrical connections, starting at the battery cables. Do you have a voltmeter to confirm the alternator is charging?

3. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

i'll check the connections. what am i looking for on the alternator. obviously i check the positive but what voltage or amperage am i looking for ?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To start, clean both ends of both battery cables. Also clean the positive wire coming off the alternator.
    With the truck off, the voltage on the battery should be about 12.6 Volts. When the truck is running, it should increase up to 14 Volts or so.

5. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

well. just jumpstarted it and all ran fine. disconnected cables and it still ran. disconnected the negative cable for battery and still ran. checked voltage at the battery while it was running and it was 14.8 volts. went to lift plow and motor died. went to restart and battery dead.

6. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Take your battery to autozone and have them test it - if you're getting a charge from the alternator, it could be your battery is bad.

7. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

battery is basically brand new. got last year and never had any issues

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming your truck dies with the plow on only. Still could be a dead battery cell. If the truck is doing this without the plow why is it not at thr dealer being worked on?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Clean the plow connections too.
    I am betting a bad battery tho.

10. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I'm betting battery to. If the battery check out ok slim chance lose pos. wire on the starter or solenoid. you have 14 volts when the truck is running?

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You probably have multiple issues. The battery may be weak or not being charged. The starter may be toast or the solenoids. They may not turn do to heating from the exhaust. The plow pump motor may be pulling way too many amps and the voltage drop kills the engine. Clean and put dielectric grease on all the connections.Clean and grease all the ground connections on your engine,to frame and plow pump. Charge your battery at home and have it tested at AutoZone etc. Plow trucks have unusual and multiple problems at times. It's just a fact of nature with them.

12. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

well... got it fixed, but had 2 issues. first was that it WAS the battery. wasnt able to get it load tested yet so i put another one in and worked fine. other issue was i could get the blade to go left and right but not up and down. also if i tried to go down it felt like it was jamming. checked the cable where it goes into the plow and it was full of water. melted the water and bam... plowing again... thx for help all and hope this helps another person if they need it