1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

joystick

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by pkenn, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

is the joystick considered an upgrade or option to the handheld?

2. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

It is an option, I don't think they charge more or less for the hand held or joystick

3. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

The Joystock is cheaper to purchase than the handheld.

4. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Joystick is cheaper and older technology, but I know some who prefer it over the touchpad.

5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The Joystick is $5 less expensive when purchasing a complete control kit and tends to have fewer problems than the SmartTouch controllers as they do not rely on a complete circuit board for contacts, only switches basically.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I personally love the joystick controller over the handheld.

7. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Usually the joystick is standard and the handheld is an option. Lately I see that there is no extra charge though- that's nice. They used to charge extra if you wanted the handheld. I'm talking about buying with the plow. If you want to buy separate- the joystick is deff. cheaper.

8. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Can't say I have ever used a joystick with a V plow, is it as easy to use as the smarttouch controller?

9. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I think it's much easier. It performs more functions at the same time. Meaning- you can run both sides at once with one movement of the joystick. Want vee- one pull. Want scoop- one push. Push the joystick to the left and the plow will totally shift to wing left regardless of what position the two wings are in when you do it. Also, when you hit the down switch, it automatically drops into float mode. It's really efficient. I realize you can push the two buttons you want at the same time to make it scoop or vee but the other functions don't compare. Now on the other hand...... I really like being able hang the handheld on the shifter and have it out of the way- gotta have the joystick mounted within reach.

10. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

That does sound much more user friendly. I especially like the scoop and v one tap like you mentioned. I always have a hard time getting it into scoop due to the up/down button in the middle come up soo far on the controller. The company I plow for doesn't own any v joysticks, but I might see if I can't demo one from our dealer. I do have to agree that its nice to be able to hang the controller over the shifter and not have to worry about it.

11. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Sorry, there's one thing I should have been a little more clear about. When I said one push for scoop and vee I meant that it's just push it one way and the position sets itself- it's not just a tap though- you just hold it for a second until the wings get to position or anywhere in between if you want. Like you said, it's really user friendly. Good luck- I think you'll love it- except figuring out where to mount it.

12. zman300

zman300 Member

I may go this route. I'm so used to the joystick with the Western.

Is this the one you're talking about, MSC03809 about $200.00

It will just plug in, no mods needed.

13. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

That's the one. Just plug-n-go-n-go!