1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick VS Hand held???? (Boss)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Indy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Indy

Indy Senior Member

What do ya like and why???

I have Hand held and I am thinking of switching to Joystick .

I have a Chevy and stick the handle of the hand held between the seat and the console and run it with my thumb, the joy stick seems like it could be faster and I think I like the idea of a mount on the front of the arm rest OR left handed on the door.

What your thoughts or experience??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I don't like either...

Always been a favorite of toggle controls myself.

If I was forced to choose between the handheld or the joystick I'd go with the joystick though. Much more natural and better control IMO.

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I own both. The plow came with the hand held smart touch and at first I hated it since I was used to my old fisher. SO I ordered a joystick. By time the joystick came in, I was used to the smart touch and now I love it. I'll never go back to the stick. And the Boss stick is VERY cumbersome. I was not able to find any good place to mount it in the truck, its just plain huge. Even the stick is not a finger tip controled stick, you have to wrap your whole darn hand around the thing to get it into float mode. I would definitally go with the smart touch if I was you.

But at the end of the day, its all about personal preference. I'd go to your dealer and see if they have a joystick you could mess with. That might help you in your decision.

Good Luck!

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I like the handheld but I would love the joystick. But I want to keep all my plow trucks the same so its easier to use for my employees.

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I prefer the joystick. Its super simple to use and there is less of a learning curve from someone that hasn't operated a plow, at least a V. Found that with the handhelds if you don't hit the buttons just right you end up moving the plow in a different way than intended. I also like the fact its something stationary and you don't have to hold on to it.

6. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I bought my V plow with the Smart touch, I hated it, strapped it to my leg to try if that would work, still hated it. I bought a joystick and couldnt beleive how easy it was, loved it. I think it all has to do with what you like. Some will like the smart touch and some will like the joystick.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I vote for the joy-stick....

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

The Boss V plows Ive used have the joystick and they work great.The fisher i use has a handheld control (both V plows). I could care less which ones i use they both work fine.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

definately the handheld, IMO.

10. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have the hand held at first I wasnt a huge fan but after a while I got used to it. I have since then taken the handle off of the hand held and mounted to the arm rest. I like this option the best since the controls are exactly where I want them to be. I included a link with pictures of the install and final out come. :drinkup:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=58612

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like the hand held. I hold it in my right and shift with the left.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The Stick is just TO BIG I tryed the hand held..... I ended up Re-working the fisher stick (used the fisher for 20 years) to work with the Boss V. The 4 black dots controle each wing in and out.

[​IMG]

13. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with the joystick. The handheld is a pain in the butt. I thought i would like it. Sometimes i put it in my lap when backing up or what ever. It always seems to turn and i accidentally hit the left or right button, or the down button. Also when holding it, you have to shift gears, sometimes you hit the buttons again. After a while it is a pain to keep holding. I am thinking about the joystick after the season. I already had enough of it. LOL

14. joy

there is a reason they call it --JOY stick

mounted mine on an old cell-phone floor mount (that dates me)
    btwn the consol and the corner of the seat-- right at the end of the arm rest.

had a meyer, a western and now (since 99) a Boss-- its a JOY

tc, KC and Jetta

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick hands down.

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

?????????????

...On the joy stick is forward (on the stick down, back is up) for a straight blade???

Thanks for all the advice and support.:salute:

I think I might find one and give it a try. (know anybody that has an old one?)

Mike C

17. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Hand held is much easier...hold in the right hand drive and shift with your left hand. The joy stick is so big and awkward I had no place to sit it in my truck.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, on a straight it is.

19. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

joystick is much much faster if u ask me.

20. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i use a handheld because thats what came with my plow but i wouldnt mind trying a joy stick. i wish i could get a longer lead for my hand held and use it in my left hand, i hate reaching over to shift with my left.