1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by yancy, Jan 29, 2008.

1. yancy

yancy Senior Member

Has anyone ever tried to switch the wires for the raise and lower on a western joystick so it is like a tractor or any other piece of equipment where it is forward for down and back for up? Its not that big of a deal but I hate going from one style to another it takes a couple times to get back to normal.
  2. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

I know what you mean i run tractors all year. And in the fall my head control on our combine is back for up and ahead for down. After spending all fall in that it takes me a long time to convert back in the winter to my plow control.:dizzy:
  3. yancy

yancy Senior Member

yep exactly even for us in the winter I run two trucks that are "tractor style" and one the other way. I even put a remote switch on the gator that is tractor style.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

switcho chango

all you would have to do is identify the color wire and use i disconnect tool ,snap on corn well even o'reileys ,ect.to push the wire connectors out of the white plastic connectors or cut and reconnect the wires ,i am not sure but i think it is the blue and red wire's in the white plug on the joy stick control .take a look at westerns mechanic's guide ,might have to print it ,the writing is to small on the screen .
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I too prefer them that way but the Western joysticks wont work that way just by switching wires, for two reasons:

In the raise position, the joysitck applies power to the lt blue wire to activate the S2 coil and to the brown/red wire to activate the under hood solenoid.

In the lower/float position it only powers one wire, the white/yellow wire for the S1. So just swapping wires wont reverse the functions..it is possible to do with an added relay though.

The bigger problem is when you'd pull the stick back to your new "raise" position, it wouldn't stop trying to raise when you let off the stick since it detentes for float in the stock configuration. Plus your new "lower" would have no float position since you reversed the functions.
  6. yancy

yancy Senior Member

that was one of my concerns was the float. It is probably the same way on the handhelds too I imagine.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep..no float function on the raise button.
  8. doh

doh Senior Member

Mount the remote upside down and reverse the left/right wire
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Still not that simple, since it needs two valve functions to angle to the left (S2 &S3) but only one to angle to the right (S2), you still cant just reverse the wires at the plug. But, you can then add a relay (although you need to chop the wiring up to do it).
  10. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

Doh, I was thinking the same thing. lol
  11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

switch the left and right angle hoses
  12. yancy

yancy Senior Member

if the wiring wont work I think this could. there is no differences on the pumps that I can think of for the left and right hoses.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will work but IF you swap the hoses, make a note of it. If in the future you have an angling problem make sure you remember that you swapped the hoses for future diagnosis problems because an angle left issue would actually be an angle right issue and visa versa.

Can't tell you how many times that has happened over the years trying to diagnose an angle problem without the plow right there in front of me, and the reason I didn't suggest it.