1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick problem

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bravoadd, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

Ok im new to all this website stuff so i hope this works. I just bought my first plow and i need the controller and cables for it. Its an older western joystiwestern. Is there an inexpensive way to convert it to the remote type? Its on a Ford F150 5 speed with the fourwheel shifter on the floor as well, 1476321060881-871047955.jpg so i dont have much room for a joystick. What options do i have?

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Welcome to the site. Now, in a nut shell, no you can not set that up with a electric controller. You would have to get the next generation hydraulic unit. Look on craigslist. Otherwise you need a cable controller. If you can not find a used one, I have a new one on the shelf. Where ya located?

3. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

I live in northern Minnesota by bemidji. Does it matter what joytick control i get? Or are they pretty much all the same?

4. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

Or how much am i looking at for the used generation pump?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Isarmatic/SEHP pumps should go around $400-500 but you would still need wiring and a control. Joysticks should be the same for cable pumps but I believe cable length varied.

6. Randall Ave

I got a brand new western cable joy stick, but hows he gonna mount it in a f 150. Kimber, have ya noticed this year seems like a lot of old stuff is showing up.

kimber750 likes this.
  7. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

Hmm ok thanks for the help! I guess joystick is the answer this year.

8. kimber750

All those guys last year that threw plows on old trucks and then we got 3' of snow and trucks exploded.

dieselss and Randall Ave like this.
  9. kimber750

What year truck and how nice is it? Gonna have a problem putting holes in the dash?

10. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

I bought the truck for for the work i do and it just happened to come with a plow. There's no way id buy a truck for just plowing lol

11. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

Its an old 97 F150 i bought for 1200

12. Randall Ave

His dash is just a piece of plastic. Go to the local scrap yard. I have gotten plow units at my local one for 75.00.

13. bravoadd

bravoadd Junior Member

Yeah i checked the salavge yards and they dont have anything worth spending money on