1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick or Handheld???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shortstuff, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I'm posting my question here to get experienced replies.

I just purchased a complete (new) Fisher 8'HD MM2 setup and will be picking it up on Saturday morning. The dealer told me that I could get either the joystick control or the handheld control - my choice - as they are both the same price.

I have 0 (that's zero) experience plowing snow and have purchased this for my own personal use (non-commercial) and I have a good friend who will 'show me the ropes'. So my question is which controller should I get? The joystick or the handheld?

Also, I paid $4k for everything including the cutting edge and hydraulic fluid. Is this a good deal? My truck is an '04 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 QC/SB with the snow-prep package.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Handheld :drinkup:

3. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We sell probably at least 10-1 handheld over the joystick

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick.:D

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mount the joystick on the shift lever--- you wont be looking for it while plowing, you wont have to hold it

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I started out on the stick, I can't stand handheld. That being said The next person will say the opposite of me. It comes down to your preferance.:)

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Handheld joystick! wesport

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Especially for a non-commercial homeowner setup, I'd go handheld. Your usage will be relatively low, why go screwing things into your dashboard and keep hitting your knees on the joystick controller if you have an option to do otherwise.

I have basically the same setup, but a Minute Mount 1, used to plow my own driveway. I use the handheld controller and had a joystick in my old plow truck. I prefer the handheld.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick. I have never used a hand held, I like the joystick becouse I can put my left hand on my left knee and use my joystick. My uncle has a hand held and he never takes it off the holder.

10. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Joystick

My currant truck only is getting put together in a month of so. But my past plowing says it has to ber joystick for me. This will be mounted on the custom armrest I am putting together for this rig. With arm on rest the joystick will be there with switches for all the lightingair horn and salter.

11. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Thanks for all the replies. Handheld it is.

Steve

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the handheld because I can switch hands if I want to. Now that I have the suicide knob, it's steer/wipers with left, shift/run plow with right. I need to rig up a foot switch for my wipers. My left foot is bored, and it would be nice just to hit them without taking my hand off the wheel when you get a surprise up over the blade.

I think you did fine on the price.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I like the hand held units. Nice and easy to use. I think that you got a good price on that setup too.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've had both and really don't have a preference. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I think one consideration is that with a handheld, you can disconnect the the cord and controller and store them during the off season. Gives a cleaner look. Personally, I leave mine hooked up all year. The controller fits neatly into a console cup-holder

15. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I have a joy stick mounted in the window opening in the drivers door, using it with my left hand. It unplugs and can be stored off the truck during the summer.

16. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

handhelds the best why wouldn't you get it?

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We like our joysticks mounted so we always know where they are. We like to drink coffee, talk on the phone or 2 way and eat while we plow. We have tried handhelds numerous times and they have all went back to the dealer in favour of joysticks. Everyone has different opinions but personally I think handhelds are completely useless. JMO

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - You crack me up :dizzy:

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Trust me if your a man, you'll like your joystick mounted. :)

20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Thats some funny **** there xysport

I had a handheld for my western v, it was the old style hated it. Found my self after way to many hours in the truck holding the button down too. Not a good thing.
    I like my shoe boxes now.