1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick operation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mxz600, Dec 1, 2002.

1. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Put the old style(long handle) joystick back together, found broken wire from solenoid and hooked it all up. Now l,r,and up functions on joystick only make lift arm go up. What am I doing wrong? Joystick innards look like they only go together one way. Anyone help me out here? New at this and can't figure out why it only goes up. Joystick springs back to center position from up, left and right, but locks in down position? Is that correct? I am confused.

Please help
    Jay

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

did you check the cables? sounds like one of them is broken. it sound like the joystick is opersting properly. the motor should run when you put the stick L, R, UP. also the only place the stick should stay is in the down position, all other positions should return to center.

3. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Up and down cable moves freely (half inch of movement). Left and right cable moves about 1/8 inch. I can't see why the left and right makes the lift arm go up. It should actuate the left and right cylinders but it's not. All I did was take it apart. Cables shouldn't be broken, I didn't do anything with them. Why is there only one wire? I just don't get it.

Thanks,
    Jay

4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Jay,

I use to have a old fisher cable control. It is suppose to spring back from up, left, and right. It is also suppose to stay locked in the down position, that is the float mode. The reason you have only one wire from the joystick, is to turn on the pump motor. I'm assuming you have electric over hydrolic, or do you have a belt driven pump? Either way the cables pull on valves that activate the functions, up, down, left, and right. I would check to make sure the valves are moving all the way. It is possible that the cables have stretched. Why did you take the assemble apart?

Everett

5. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

I took it apart to pull it off the dashboard to paint the dash. As usual I try to make something better and end up screwing something up. So the wire turns the pump on, and the cables determine which way it moves. How come it only goes up, and not down. If there was something wrong with that cable then it wouldn't go up either right? Is there an adjustment for cable movement? The left and right cable doesn't move as much as the up and down. I took the cover off and the mechanism the cable moves doesn't move very much. I just drained the fluid and refilled too. Do these need to be bled like brakes after a refill?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay

6. paul soccodato

the plow is gravity down, not power down. it needs the weight of the plow to go down. did you mix up the cables? you can take the covers off the pump and move the levers manually (with pump running to see if it operates then. start at the pump and work towards the joystick. maybe its an adjustment problem?

7. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

There is an adjustment on the cable for the up and down, I was messing with that, that's probably where some of my problem lies. It doesn't seem like there is an adjustment for the side to side. There is a jam nut on the up and down. Like I said before the side to side doesn't move very much. Do I just spin the whole cable for side to side adjustment? I understand that the plow is gravity down. But, I can't make it go down with the joystick, and if I remember correctly from last year, the solenoid does trip when I move the joystick down.
    Everyones help is great and I am understanding this more and more, but I still can't get it to work correctly.

Thanks,
    Jay

8. paul soccodato

the solenoid should'nt click when you go down. i would disconnect the cables and operate the levers in the pump by hand (while powering the pump) to see what happens. if the up/down lever is not centered when you operate left/right, (and vice versa) all sorts of crazy things happen.

9. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

The cable w/ adjustment nut is supposed to be the left to right. Did you switch them by mistake or did someone install the cables in the wrong position previously??:waving:

10. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Paul,
    Your right, the solenoid doesn't trip when I go down. Took me awhile to remember but it does just go down.
    Plowtech,
    Cables are in same spot as last year and they worked flawlessly.

Plow gurus will be home from up north tomorrow and I'll get with them. Too late to work on this thing anymore. I think the up and down is out of adjustment and the side to side, well I'm not sure just what's going on.

2-4 tonight and tomorrow, guess I'll have to shovel.

I appreciate all your help and will post with results when we get it working. And we will get it working. Ha Ha

Thanks,
    Jay

11. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Just wanted you guys to know it's fixed. Joystick problems are over. It was all in the cables and not enough fluid. The only thing now is to fine tune the up and down. Goes too slow up and too slow down. Thanks for all the help.

Jay