1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick on a 24D

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by James48843, Jan 25, 2008.

1. James48843

James48843 Junior Member

Just an FYI-

I have a 1997 Model 24D. The joystick controller cracked internally. I looked up the service parts manual and found it is part number 96101169.

I called my dealer, and got a price of $528 plus shipping for this one part.

I also needed one microswitch, P/N 96101524. They wanted $58 bucks plus $12 shipping.

So I took the joystick apart, and looked for clues as to who made it. It turns out the internal part of the "bang-bang" controller joystick (9610169) is actually manufactured by a company called OEM Controls, out of Shelton, Conneticut, as a Model BJS5 bang-bang multi-axis controller.

I called them, and talks to their parts department. A brand new joystick asembly is a model BJS5 "bang-bang" assembly. The price for a complete assembly was $66, including shipping. (for the part that snoway sells for $528). They also can rebuild your unit for about $175 or so.

And the microswitch turns out to be a readily available microswitch from Microswitch Corporation. I took the number off the microswitch itself, and found at least 20 places to buy it on a google search, the least expensive is around $11.95 (vs. $58 plus $12 shipping).

Note to all- if the part seems expensive- look around, and you can find many of these parts from the part OEM at a fraction of the cost. You just have to be willing to dig around a little to track down who is the actual producer of the part.

Good luck.

BY the way- I've had my 24D for 4 years on a 1995 GMC Jimmy (Bought to do my driveway), and I love it.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. James48843

James48843 Junior Member

By the way- the part number for the microswitch, P/N 96101524, is equivilant to this part number:

This part is available widely as a Honeywell Microswitch, and is $3.70 plus shipping here:

Or about $2.62 apiece plus shipping from here:

So there you have it. $58 plus $12 shipping for a "Snoway" purchased piece part, or $2.62 plus shipping from an electronics part dealer.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

don't the joysticks only run about $300 anyway!?
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should rephrase your "Snoway's price" comments to "The Dealers price" or "the Dealer wants" I'll check the SW suggested list price on those parts, but dealers set their own prices..

Try part number 99100153, Joystick complete includes harness.
    i don't know what snoway says,
    I don't know what your dealer says,
    I say I sold one two weeks ago $359.00

yes, you can get some OEM parts from other suppliers, and they can be cheaper, as well as less expensive. They also can be the same part only passing though a lot less hands. You do all the footwork and carry the cost burden of the time.

You are ordering an obsure part. I have never replaced one. inventory control teaches that if a part doesn't rotate 4 times a year it's not worth stocking. If the demand does not warrant snoway stocking it, then it's a special order that has to be:
    entered into inventory
    packed for shipping
    removed from inventory
    shipped to your dealer
    who you can be sure is making money. I think the mark up is a little high but then i don't know what your dealers margins are, whether he buys from SW, a distributor, a dealer, a sub dealer or just has a hook up with a SW dealer somewhere. The farther down the food chain the higher the price on special order stuff like this.

Good tip on the rebuild service!
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a new assembly is only 66 but they'll rebuild yours for $175?

The unit you are purchasing is not quite what you'd get from SW. Their's includes the housing wiring etc..... Still a good deal if you are will to do all the work.
  6. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Thanks for the link James. :drinkup: I noted in my other post my rocker switch wiring harness is toast and I was going to retro a Western joystick to work but I was going to end up with a used joystick (hrs of use unknown) modified to my use. I can't stand the little square housing, never stays where you want it and the wireless contol is way too small (my stereo and CD changer remote are glued to 1"x4" steel pipe) so I'm going to make an upholstered mount that will straddle my console that will house the joystick with a 6 way round and 4 way round trailer plug under the dash for ease of removal (stock plugs are held togethor with zip ties from being removed so many times in sub zero temps). I knew I checked back here for a reason:)
  7. jerrysaint

jerrysaint Junior Member
    from eastern

i did the same thing with light relay, from tyco electronics. were u able to plug in to new controller ,our was it diffucult
  8. James48843

James48843 Junior Member

Yes, the part is $66, the price of $175 includes the labor to tear it down, replace the joystick assembly guts, and rebuild it to like new. Still less that buying a complete assembly

Yes, that may be true. I'm a kind of guy that likes to tinker, and only replace parts that are broken. If in fact the snoway part number includes everything- the box, the wiring, etc, then it is not an apples to apples comparison.

I only wanted to post that information out here in case someone else has the problem that I had. At least it gives them a couple of places to check before they spend a lot of money.

Just to be clear- I am EXTREMELY satisfied as a Snoway customer. I just do my own 400 ft or so driveway, and when it snows really hard, I like to go out into the neighborhoods around me and play, plowing subdivision roads, and watching all the people with snowblowers and shovels grimmace as I drive by. I would HIGHLY recommend a snoway to anyone. Even a ten-year old unit like mine is still a great piece of technology, and fun to play with.

Bigger boys, bigger toys. Go Snoway!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's a great thing and I'm sure we'll keep in the mind. the rebuild is very interesting.