1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick mount for shifter (manual)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timsjeep, Nov 11, 2002.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

used the search, got nothing.

Could you all post pictures of you joystick setup on your stick. I am going to try to do this on Thursday and would love some feedback. Do you like it on the stick is it better on the dash.....?
    I have a Meyers plow and Joystick. Thanks in advance. Tim
  2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sorry I don't have any pictures of it--maybe a thousand words will substitute.

My first plow truck was a 79 GMC with a 4-speed. I mounted the switches (the 2 toggle switches, not a joystick) to a homemade mount right on the shifter. All I did was use a flat peice of steel with holes drilled in it for the switches and bolted it to two 2"X2" angle irons from the hardware store. I put the angles so they were at a 90 degree angle to each other, but just close enough that the parts sticking downward could be held to the stick by a couple of hose clamps. The metal angles themselves would slide around on the metal of the shifter, so I stuck a hunk of rubber in there and that stopped them from moving.

I also mounted the angling toggle so that it moved side to side, rather than up and down like I've seen them mounted in the dashboard. It was just logical that the plow angled in the direction the switch moved. I never had to take my hand off the shifter, and could work both switches with my thumb. I loved it.

I don't see why the same sort of setup couldn't be made for a joystick.
  3. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Thanks for your input. I am sure it will work, I just thought there may be some photos of it out there to help. Your idea sounds good. I am looking forward to not having to bend over in the cab all morning. Tim

Anyone else have any ideas?
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Well I had pics of my setup. I have a 83 GMC C3500. 3spd manual and I have the joystick mounted to the shifter. It has worked out just fine for me. I don't have to keep switching hands to operate truck and plow. Plus I don't slam my knees on it getting in and out of the truck.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had my joystick mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel so I could operate it while shifting. You could do the same with it mounted on the shifter, but I had 2 trucks, one auto, and I wanted them set up the same.

Meyer makes a shifter bracket for the Slick Stick, it's just a piece of angle with u-bolts holding it to the shifter.
  6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

After this weekend I don't think I could plow with a manual, I am exhausted as it is, I commend you guys.

On that off subject note, I was dreaming of a hand held push button auto trans/ plow control combination.... That way I could keep my left steering and my right on the arm rest. I am sure as hell lazy!

I would have cramped up after 4 hours plowing with a manual this past weekend.

7. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I plowed for five years with a manual trans. ('89 Chevy 1500). First off, I bought a Hurst shifter which reduced the throw lentgh by nearly half.

As far as the controls (I wish I had pics of it, 'cause it worked great...), I mounted my Western joystick control onto a L shaped bracket and then took two simple hose clamps and mounted it to the shifter so that I could operate the joystick with my thumb while keeping my hand on the top of the shifter. Like I said, it worked great. Pretty simpe.
  8. johngus

johngus Senior Member

you can mount the slick stick to the shifter with no problems.I just took flat stock,drilled two holes in it and bolted it to the slick stick bracket.definetely the way to go.only need one hand to shift and raise the plow.