1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick Location

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by indianabc, Oct 18, 2003.

1. indianabc

indianabc Member

Okay - with the help of many I have got my Boss V poly plow with joystick control. (Thanks to all who weighed in on joystick over SmartTouch handheld). Being COMPLETELY green to snow plowing I am now looking for help on where exactly to mount the joystick. I have a control box in my truck (you should be able to see if I loaded the picture correctly) and am thinking of mounting it off of the side of that but up so that it is near the gearshift. Any thoughts?

Also - Joined SIMA after much debate on the other message group. I am happy SO FAR!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I mounted mine off of a little contraptionI built to strap onto my armrest. Its the western controller, but same principle.

This is a pictuer of it when I fist got it together, I covered it in some matching carpet so that it a)looks better b)is softer to bump into and c) doesnt stick out so much!

I'll take a new picture when I get it in and hooked up for the season.
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Mine is mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, Western plow, solenoid control. Look at Snowybowtie's picture, see the gray headlight switch? Look under it, those 2 gray squares? Mine is bolted under those, where the plastic angles inward and down. I like having it there, it seems to be the perfect spot, unless I am just used to it, I dont think I would want it anywhere else. Mike
  4. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

my 2 cents

I like to have the joy stick on the left hand side of the steering wheel my right hand is steering the truck, and moving the gear selector. My left hand runs the plow and backup lights. Its what ever you get use to and works for you .Good luck
  5. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Boss makes a bracket to hang the plow control off of the drivers door it hooks in at the base of the window and just slides on and off kinda like a cup holder would. that came with my plow. if it didnt come with your im sure ya should be able to get one from the dealer without much problem... i find it much easier to control the plow with the left hand and do all my driving stuff with the right hand.
  6. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

I have a '97 Chevy with the 7.5' Boss RT3, joystick control. My joysticks sits on my center console, velcroed down, in much the same position as SnowyBowtie's is. I like it it there to the right. I didn't use the mounting brackets because i am not a big fan of mounting anything in my cab. If I want to move it i can with only using the velcro strips.

Do what makes ergonomical sense for you. You will be in the truck for many hours plowing (we hope) so make it to where your hand/arm isn't going to hurt after only a few hours. At first i hated the joystick control because it was so big, bulky.....but I like it now!

7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I mounted my Fisher Fishstick here. I find its easied to use the left hand to control the plow, the right hand steers and shifts.

8. indianabc

indianabc Member

I like your mount. Is that a standard or a custom made deal?
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a 7.6 boss super duty straight blade. I had the dealer fit the brackets so one of them slips inside my center console and the other rests on my seat. Works better for me since I'm right handed.
  10. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Mike ...I mounted mine in the same spot, so i can rest my left arm on my leg and use the joystick! Just used a couple scrap pieces of aluminum angle and bolted it to the control box and screwed it to the dash.pumpkin:
  11. ciapek

ciapek Member

This is where I put my controller.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Plow controls,salter controls,backup lamps,and cell phone mount all in one unit.Mounts with one factory screw and some foam tape,so it comes out in a few seconds.

13. lol

hey wyldman, that salt control and toggle switch with the blade control look exactly like mine,,,lol.. i wonder why,, same place as mine too....lol