1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick controller

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ghlkal, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

I’m just not happy with my handheld controller. I can’t find a good place to mount it, and it’s hard to operate while wearing gloves.

I was thinking about getting the joystick controller, but I have some questions for those who have a joystick.

The joystick looks a little small – can you control it easily?
    It appears as if raise and lower are “opposite” of what my old Westerns were like … push forward to lower and pull back to raise, right? It makes sense in a plane, but seems “backwards” for a plow. I’m sure I’d get used to it though

If anyone started with the handheld controller and then “updated” to a joystick, I’d like to hear if it worked better for you.

(BTW, I have a wired controller, but I could only find a pic of the wireless joystick. I assume there is a wired joystick too)

Thanks

joystick.jpg

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes there is a wired joystick looks just like the wireless only it has wires. It will plug right in to your existing harness with out changing out anything but the control.

3. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Thanks Basher. I appreciate your feedback.

Anyone else use the joystick and care to comment?

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

question: why do you wear gloves while plowing :confused: man i get to hot if i wear gloves... i know i know i dont plow much because everyone here who knows me knows i sell and service plows but as much as i do plow gloves are horrible i plow with the windows down and the heat on!

5. motorbreath

motorbreath Junior Member

I switched from the wireless handheld to the wired joystick. The joystick is 10 times better. I mounted it down by my left knee, this way I can rest my elbow on the door.

6. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Since I don't plow commercially, I'm just plowing my (long) driveway. When it's 0* out, it takes a while for the truck to warm up. Unless it's a big storm, I'm usually almost done by the time it warms up inside :cry:

7. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Great idea motorbreath ... I was thinking that having the controller on my left would ultimately be easier. :salute:

8. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I hated that stupid push-button controller that came witht the plow, so I bought the completely over-priced joystick. I have no regrets, as It makes the plow much easier to control. You are right about the up/down control being reversed. It takes a few hours but you will get used to doing things backwards.

9. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Coolgreen, thanks for the feedback. I think I need to look for one ... I wonder if anyone has a used one for sale :confused:

10. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

? for basher.

I have wr on both plows. If i were to get the wireless joystick, could i also use the remote. In other words go back & forth between the remote and joystick by simply reprograming the units?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes you can.

12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks as always basher, you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Not to hi-jack the thread but, if I don't have someone with me, and I'm gonna be in and out of the alot I tend to wear gloves, I don't know with the new Boss smart touchy feely thing, it seems SUPER sensitive, I was used to joy sticks or lever mech's, we'll see how it goes.

As far as the "airplane" feel can't you just re-wire it in the opposite direction?

Also, don't underestimate mounting options, don't limit yourself just to SW brand stuff, or even just plow related stuff, theres a bunch of "hands free cell phone" stuff that can be adapted or microfone holders that can be mod'ed.

14. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Good point ... if I have to stick with the handheld controller, I might investigate some sort of holder for it.

(still looking for a used joystick BTW :))

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nono: Circuit board, pulse signal controls

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Can you not just switch the left and right wires at the pump and then turn the joystick around. That is what a few guys around here have done with the Arctic Plows. You will get used to the up/down quite quickly.

17. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I really like the pull-back for Up controllers. Depends on how you mount them but a Sno-way with DP activated, you just push it forward for a second and plow. When in reverse, you have to hold it longer.

Most of the Western applications, it seems the plow controller is too far from my had to hold the stick. I dunno. I like my handheld controller. Hook it to my shifter or sit it on my leg.

With anything, it takes getting used to for sure. Once you have the feel for it...you'll be good.