1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick control won't activate plow solenoid.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Serenescapes, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I have been diligently working to get my old speedcast plow up and running. I've changed the fluid cleaned the pump, etc... I've done some archived thread reading and I just don't get the black wire leading from the joystick. How does it activate the solenoid? I'm not running it from the ignition, just going hot pigtail from the battery to the solenoid to the pump. Then the black wire from the joystick to the S terminal on the solenoid. When we moved the joystick if all things were right the solenoid should cut on, correct? we are getting nothing. the solenoid is brand new, and we checked it by jumping the main terminals, pump works. On the other threads the control cables grounding through the pump seem to have something to do with the activation. Can somebody please chime in and we'll go from there. I am lost at this point. If it was my guess it has to do with the grounding of the joystick control itself, but I don't understand the theory of the black wire activating the solenoid.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just looked on fishers website,,,the in cab controller must be grounded for anything other than lower to work

3. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Does that mean put a ground to the same wire that leads from the joystick? This is a cable controlled joystick for a fisher electric hydraulic pak series A.

4. dieselss

I kinda figured. The controller needs tobe grounded to activate the solenoid via the wire off the in cab controller to operate the plow

5. dieselss

No. The wire off the controller is only gnded by up, left or right.......through the controller

6. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

SO? Does that mean to ground the actual controller by getting it tied into the truck metal somehow? Or does it ground through the black wire leading from the joystick?

7. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

So you answered the black wire question for me. Is it maybe the wrong solenoid? I got a BWD (Borg warner) solenoid. It is not the oem recommended solenoid. sorry for bringing that up now.>>

8. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Is there some way that the controller is not grounding correctly?

9. dieselss

Ok the controller needs tobe gnded to the tk metal somehow, as long as solenoid has 4 pins....its pretty much good.....yes,,,reck your gnding on the controller and ck your gnds in general

10. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

okay I will do. thanks for your insight and help. Us new guys depend on you.