1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joystick control won't activate plow solenoid.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Serenescapes, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I have been diligently working to get my old speedcast plow up and running. I've changed the fluid cleaned the pump, etc... I've done some archived thread reading and I just don't get the black wire leading from the joystick. How does it activate the solenoid? I'm not running it from the ignition, just going hot pigtail from the battery to the solenoid to the pump. Then the black wire from the joystick to the S terminal on the solenoid. When we moved the joystick if all things were right the solenoid should cut on, correct? we are getting nothing. the solenoid is brand new, and we checked it by jumping the main terminals, pump works. On the other threads the control cables grounding through the pump seem to have something to do with the activation. Can somebody please chime in and we'll go from there. I am lost at this point. If it was my guess it has to do with the grounding of the joystick control itself, but I don't understand the theory of the black wire activating the solenoid.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

the black wire goes to the solenoid to ground it out

3. Morrissey snow removal

4. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I figured that part, so why wouldn't my solenoid work if my cables are grounding to pump and the frame of the truck from there?

5. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Good to hear from you again. we spoke about push plates a while back. I had to have some fabricated but we are on the way to pushing snow if I can get this joystick working. I'll hopefully be putting a fresh coat of paint on her tomorrow.

6. Morrissey snow removal

do u have the black wire grounded to the solenoid?

7. Morrissey snow removal

do u have the right solenoid?

8. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Yes the wire is attached to the solenoid. in the S, position. I bought a BWD ( Borg Warner general 12V solenoid). Maybe no is the answer to the correct solenoid question>>??? lol Maybe I need to ground that black wire?

9. Morrissey snow removal

that borg warner solenoid is ground when u attach it to metal

10. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Okay. Got it attached with self tappers. So what else could it be? I'm still lost.

11. Morrissey snow removal

12. Morrissey snow removal

ur solenoid is bolted to metal correct!

13. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

So, wrong solenoid huh? i hope that will do it. I'll order it immediately. Thanks.

14. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

yes. right to the firewal. right next to the truck solenoid.

15. Morrissey snow removal

yes the solenoid u have is wrong if u order one order 2 have a spare

16. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I don't have that little jumper cable like the schematic shows. That could be it... Leading from the hot cable to the ignition small post. I was reading that in another thread...

17. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

absolutely will do. I thank, and respect you guys for helping us newbies out!!

18. Morrissey snow removal

nothing goes to the ignition the jumper wire just goes from the little post to the big post with positve battery power the other big post is power going out to the plow motor and the other small post is ground wire coming from plow control

19. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I recall trying a pigtail to that post today with power and everything else hooked as the schematic shows. i think you were right about the solenoid. i am ordering 2 of them now. Is Angelos the best place for prices and quality?

20. Morrissey snow removal

i get alot of stuff from them but if u have a napa around u they useually have a small snow plow section there also