1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

joystick compatability issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by just me, Nov 23, 2009.

1. just me

just me Member

I just finished installing a new truck harness on my 2000 K1500. It is the 9 pin harness with the 6 pin controller plug in the cab. When I plug in the joystick I got with the plow, it doesn't work and I compared the wire colors and it seems to be backward. The controller came with the plow and it was on a 96 K2500 with a 12 pin harness and lights. Are these joysticks not interchangeable either ??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You compared what to what? A diagram, or the wires on each side of the plug? The wire colors on the joystick side don't match up with the colors on the harness. Can't check them that way.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What B&B said about the colors matching up X2.

What does or doesnt it do other than not work? Solenoid click? motor run but no function? Controller even light up?

4. just me

just me Member

Yup, wire colors don't match. The on light doesn't light up either (may be burned out ?). I don't have the plow hooked up but I get no sound from the relay like it is sending a signal to the plow.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The controller won't work unless the plow is plugged in, it supplies a ground back to the harness.

6. just me

just me Member

OK, that's tomorrows project. I still need to swap the 12 pin light harness for the new 9 pin I got.
    Thanks, hopefully I can report back tomorrow that all is well...:nod:

7. just me

just me Member

Well, I didn't get time to swap the light harness today and we leave for the holiday in the morning. Won't be back now til Saturday...:rolleyes:
    Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving....:waving: