1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joy Stick VS. Hand Held

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I know this has bean covered many times, but I just droped off my new Toyota Tundra today to get a 7.5' Fisher put on it. I talked to alot of freinds that have hand held controlers and the talked me in to getting on. I have allways had joy sticks. So did I make a good decision or a bad decision?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you did.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like my Fish Stik OK. Did you get the HT?
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like Joysticks better.
  5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I tryed the handheld and just couldnt get comfortable with it so switched back to the joystick but it sure looked cool all lit up on the seat!
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

No, I got the SD the dealer said the SD is alot more heavy duty than the HT. He didn't want to put a HD on it, but he said the SD would hold up fine.
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

joystick also
  8. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

handheld takes time to get used to but after a few storms i loved it.
  9. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

hand held

I have the hand held and love it. I've used a joy stick and found the hand held easier. I guess it depends on what your used to.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Joystick mounted on the gearshift
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

you made a good decision.
  12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I doubt you will ever go back to the joystick.
  13. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

My "new" truck is my first with a FishStik. I had three previous vehicles with plows, all Fishers, all joysticks. It has taken some getting used to, but I kinda like it.

I would like to find someplace to stash it when it's not being used, other than the cup holder in front of the seat. The way it's shaped, it would be kind of a PITA to Velcro it to something. Likewise, I don't think the shape of it would really work for strapping it to my leg, a setup Boss has for some of their controllers. Plus, I'd probably forget to unstrap it, go to hop out of the truck, and get yanked right back in by the coil cord. :eek:
  14. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

i just lie it on my leg when plowing
  15. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I've used both, and love the handhelds. I keep it in my hand while plowing, and I can shift with it in my hand, while hitting the raise/lower button, and steering all at the same time.
  16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

handheld for sure
  17. tinffx

tinffx Member

touchpad handheld always in my shifting hand. Never done it any other way - but I do like the ones with the raised buttons over the membranes
  18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I just can't see why I would want to hold something in my hand when I am plowing. MAYBE if it was wireless, but I keep getting all tangled with the the handheld. Been fine since I screwed it to the dash.

Best system I have is all of my Blizzards got the touchpad. I use velcro, stick it on my leg. Easy to run, let's me use more than one button at a time and doesn't go anywhere. All my guys like it that way too.
  19. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Whats a joystick again?

I first used a FishStick about 3 years ago now.....I'll never go back. My knee thanks me for it as well.
  20. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

Blizzard with a Joystick. I now have a snow way with the wireless thumbstick and it's marginal at best. Hate the controllers that are push buttons.