1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joy Stick or hand held controler?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bchlawns, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know guys that are using the joy stick and the hand held controler. I was just looking for everyones opinion on both good and bad. I think i am leaning towards the hand held. Think it will be better and easier in the long run.
    Thanks for the advice
  2. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

hand held

i have the hand held and love it. you can hold it and shift you really dont have to move your arm around that much.

the only thing you have to be careful of is shifting. you have the tendency to shift while your still moving with the handheld. with the joystick you cant because you have to stop raise the plow and then shift
  3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hand Held

I have the hand held and like it. I have seen the joystick but have never used it. I have a myers's and I can either mount it on the dash, Strap it to the leg, or hold it. I prefer holding it. Although I have not tried to strap it on the leg. Knowing me I would forget it was on the leg and jump out of the truck and here comes the control with me.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  4. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, seems the hand held would be easier and more comfortable after getting use to it. Any more opinions would be appreciated
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the joystick my self any you unplug it in the off season to
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong.

One hand to steer. ( usually these days it is the left hand)

The other hand is for shifting and operating plow controller..

How do you hold a handheld and shift or steer at the same time.

Seems the mounted joystick allows you to alternate in my case from shifter to joystick comfortably.

Works for me and never ever noticed any in- convenience
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have both and hard to say which I prefer but, if I had to give up one, I think I'd keep the joystick. The hand-held may be more convenient by being movable, but I just prefer the ease of the joystick - not having to do something with it; whether it's throwing on the dash or balancing on your leg. If you balance it on your leg temporarily, then you still throw it on the dash later and have a further, more awkward reach to get it. The hand held is more easily removed, but I leave them both hooked up year round.
  8. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I have a fisher with a fish stick(handheld) and I swear by it steer with my left shift and operate controller with my right saves a lot of time its one fluid motion. Just a little tid bit my buddy plows with a 5 speed jeep with a Meyers he mounted his joystick to the neck of his shifter and that also seems to work pretty well JMPO. Winters just around the corner :redbounce

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a meyers hand controller just cant get comfortable
    using it. its not like the western or fisher thats designed
    with a pistol grip this year im going to try the joy stick
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I like joysticks much better than the handhelds, i hate it when the controls move around. I have used a fishstick before and perfer the joystick to it. My plow controls are 2 rods mounted on my left above the switch for the headlights. I like them on the left because iam right handed and can use my stronger hand to steer and shift. If iam windrowing i can keep both hands on the wheel, as i get to the end of a pass i slow down and go to raise the plow with my left hand, as i stack th snow the right hand goes from the wheel to the shift to knock it into reverse quickly. Then the plow is alredy up and i can back up with both hands on the wheel and then start my next pass. The hendhelds "take up" one hand and your only left with one hand to do everything else. Also if you let go of it its hard to find fast.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am perfectly happy with the joystick on my BOSSplow. I've never had the hand-held but have never had a desire to have it either. I have the joystick mounted to wooden box/armrest that I plop on the bench seat when winter comes around.

My left hand never comes off the wheel, the right alternates from the shifter (SM465 4-Speed) and the joystick.

Has anyone ever tried to adapt steering wheel controls (like late model cars have for the radio) to a plow? I've always thought I could do it.... use a Bonneville (or similar) steering wheel with the volume up and down controls on the left to operate the up/down cylinders on the plow, and have a switch mounted right to the shifter to run the left/right setup. Would certainly be a slick setup methinks, faster b/c you eliminate the time swapping hands on the controls to shifter.....
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally i don't think controls on the steering wheel would be of any benefit to me. I would find it difficult to trun into a driveway and drop the plow at the same time with the controllers up side down :eek: Too confusing for me maybe if you dont plow in tight areas but i find that my wheel is often turned while i am moving the plow.
  13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Here is what I like about the Meyers Joy stick. But I would not recomend it with the E-60 pump.

Plow controls web 001.jpg
  14. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have two trucks. One is stick shift and the other auto. Stick has the "stick" controls u-bolted to the shifter. Can shift and operate plow all at once. Operate plow with my thumb. Like the idea, hate plowing parking lots with stick shift. Auto truck has stick controls mounted to left side of steering wheel. Just more confortable for me. I do like the controler mounted above the window controls. Nice setup.
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Good point cja1987, can't say I'd really thought that thru. You'd be fine until you had to turn the wheel more than 180 degrees (once you move your hand)......

I really like that setup in the door, very slick. Nicely out of the way.

Realistically, we all have the same problem--only two hands (unless any one of our members have less?) Maybe we could use some controls like some of the quadraplegic wheelchairs use, tip the head around for control... just don't hit any potholes, cuz the plow would be dancin'!!!! :p
  16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Currently running a fishstick for my V blade. I've ran an auto with the controls on the shifter and that would be my second favorite if I had to get rid of the controler. Ran with em mounted about every were else. Still like the controler though, most of the time I have my right sitting on the center consol operating the plow or using the shifter if necissary, sometimes I help steer with y right while holding the controller but not ussual. I can change were my hand is at and stilll have my hand on my plow controlls. Play with the radio, what ever. If I want to move my hand and operate the controls while it sits in my lap I do that too sometimes just becasue after awhile my arm gets tired of being in one position. Controler sits in my lap or I stuff it in the cup holder while transporting most times(didnt want to mount the little hook braket guy on my truck) Take it out if the plow is unhooked.

Shamless plug time I have a fishstick for a v blade with one season on it, worked perfect for the 6 or so times I used it last year. Want to upgrade to the non mode button version. Anybody want a fishstick to try ;) payup
  17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Thought about hooking the lift circuit to the backup lights with a limit switch when the blade is up and a cutout for back blading. but mounting on the door has always been enough for me. by the way I hate those tuch pads. I would rather use the 2 switch's that came with the old Meyers first. To get around the float only in the center I attach a heavy duty budgie on the lift chain.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  18. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

May be, just may be, you can't re-invent the wheel.
    That is why today we STILL have joysticks. Will they ever go away? NO. Because when you invent the BETTER wheel the old one disappears real fast. Note the joystick has not disappeared.

Blizzard has touch pad too. ( If you want it )

As an operator myself, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for a touch pad.

Since long ago, even mechanical cable operated controllers were using the basics. Left,right, up, down. Now it is electricalally operated but the principles are the same. Why. Sometimes you just can't invent a better wheel.

May be companies are trying to sell you sizzle instead of the steak. I will sell you anything you want after warning you, you probably will not like it. But being a softie I'll probably take it back and give you a joystick. And tongue in cheek, I won't say I told you so. That's a NO,NO.
  19. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a great place to mount it.
  20. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Cab command all the way! All three trucks have them. I had one joystick controller and it was replaced with the cab command before the end of the first season. I put it in my lap between jobs and I keep it in my hand while shifting from forward to reverse and back to forward. It would be a real pain in the rear if you had a manual trans. Also, the cab command would be a pain if you had to run a CB radio like some contractors do to communicate with their subcontractors. Too many coiled snakes in the cab of the truck!

Just my 2¢