1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joy Stick Or Hand Control With Auto Trans?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Daner, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I have always used a hand controller,But with a new boss on Its way, they give you the option of either a joystick or the hand controller
    I'm thinking of using a joystick for this V Plow...I think after getting use to It There will be better control of the plow.

What controller do you use with your autoTrans.....And If Its the joystick, what side of the steering wheel do you have It mounted??

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have the joystick and prefer it over the handheld. I have both and im actually thinking of removing the hand part and mounting just the pad and using that this season. I have my joystick in between my seat and center console.

The ONLY 2 things I like about the handheld is the looks/lighting and also the ease of controlling each wing separately. The joystick has so many functions that sometimes it can get a little frustrating but I still prefer the joystick over handheld.

3. fnltch

fnltch Junior Member

i like the joystick controller myself. I like that i can do mutiple functions at the same time while stacking snow . with just a push of the stick and a flip of the thumb i can get wings moving foward and blade lifting at the same time.

4. Daner

I like the Idea of the Joystick as well, But the only downfall I can think of Is you have to use both hands when you get to the pile...or end.....with the hand controller you can hang on to It with your right hand and shift at the same time.
    When I think of It,I sometimes shift with my left hand,over the steering column and use my right hand for the controller.
    Maybe mount the joystick on the left hand side.....I can see a whole new learning curve on Its way

5. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i like the handheld much better, that what i use and thats a majority of what i install on a daily basis on our new boss plows. so far after hundreds of installs 2 were joysticks the rest were handheld(all autos)

to me it seems too complicated, the hand control is easy to use and plus you can switch hands if one gets tired.

6. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

My biggest fear is that someone hops in a truck that has a handheld and starts shifting while moving! Not good on any auto transmission!
    My thought is...maybe i'm wrong here...but the joystick should reduce the ease of lifting the plow and finding reverse while still moving foreward.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i allways use the controler in my left hand, steering/shifting with the right. pretty much the same thing though just opposet.

9. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I was thinking about starting the same thread. I really like the functions of the joystick and the way it works. However, it's really nice to be able to hang the hand-held out of the way. I've been wanting to buy a hand-held so I can use either one but every time I look at the price I end up putting it off. I suppose I should just buy a new plow.... then I could have both right??:dizzy:

10. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Sorry I didn't really answer the question. I use the joystick mostly and I have a bench seat so I fasten it to a console next to me. The position is perfect for my arm to sit on the console and the joystick is right in my hand- wait... that didn't sound good... oh well. I always steer with my left and usually shift with my left too.

11. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Grandview,

You plow in drive?

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick, end of debate.:drinkup:

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I prefer the handhelds just because thats what i have used the last 2 years and thats what I am used to. The plow I just bought has a joystick controller so I am going to have to get used to that.

14. grandview

I prefer to plow while I'm parked!:D

15. Daner

Thanks for your replys guys
    Grandview...I watched the vid ,And thats how I plowed with my hand helds
    If It was a Joystick, I guess you could use the left hand for shifting as well
    They are pricy to have them both...But If you break a controler In the middle of the night It will be well worth the $400 buckspayup.
    I think It I will try the Joystick ,And mount It On the Left side....And see how that works out:drinkup:

16. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I have my joystick mounted on the right side, I steer with my left hand and use my right hand to shift and work the controls. When I get to the end of a run I'll shift in reverse then backup and lift the plow at the same time.

17. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I plow with a joystick, which I got last season, and we had 16 plow events here in NH. I cannot imagine being without it! The handheld controller, with its multi buttons, each controlling one function is overly complicated. With the joystick, except for the toggle up/down control, all of the functions are done with a wand. It is remarkably easy to learn, and after the second storm becomes automatic.
    I have my joystick mounted permanently on the drivers side door at the front on the window ledge. My elbow is comfortable on the armrest, it is a joy! I drive a 2007 3500HD single rear wheel GMC.

18. Daner

There yaa go 1 guy with the same Idea.....On the left hand side.:waving:

Thats where I think I want to train my brain...on the left

19. grandview

What your saying is you can walk and chew gum at the same time.:D

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i use to use my right with handheld...moved to left hand control and joystick and love it...i save so much time this way....it's mounted to my door with a extension wire so i don't trip over it...very nice...