1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joy Stick control wanted

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Al 2, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Al 2

Al 2 Junior Member

I have a new Curtis plow with the Curtis Joy Stick that hangs on the window ledge on a 2002 Chev. There is not really enough room on the door as the joy stick controller gets in the way of the power controls on the arm rest. I would like to get a smaller joy stick and would like to know if anyone might know were I could find one that would work in this situation. Thanks Al.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would be nervous about using a different make joystick then the one that came with the plow. Each manufacturer may use a different setup for the wiring. If you want to try this get a set of wiring diagrams and someone that knows electronics and maybe it can be done.

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I would think that you could talk to your dealer and get the stock Curtis control, which has the two separate control sticks. You could mount that on your dash or anywhere that you'd like. (The fingertip controls) Also, if you're not going to use the joystick, see if you can get your money back for it. Last time I knew I think that the joystick cost about $75.

As an aside, I got the joystick and this will be my third season with it and I really like it. I used to have a Western which was mounted in the middle of the truck, now on the door I can move the plow and shift at the same time. Also, that joystick allows you to angle while in the down position. I'm sure others do as well, but the western I had did not so this is a nice upgrade for me. (Lastly, I do know what you're talking about with the electronics on the door. One time I closed the door and the joytcik bounced just enough to hit the power locks into the lock position. Luckily, the window was down. Now I put a piece of that rubbermaid anti-skid cloth under the joystick and it hold in place quite nicely)

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Those controls are basically the same as the old Meyer switches. I actually liked them the one time I used them. Easy to angle the blade when floating. Not a very popular option now that small joysticks and touchpads are out.

5. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

joysticks

e-mail me i might be able to help you

6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

my friend who's a curtis dealer, and reads this board, mike plow, just installed a western control that he had to modify to fit the curtis. the guy didn't like the joystick either. mayb he'll respond to this thread, if not email me at RHVFC@aol.com for his email.

bryan