1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

joy stick control for wide out? and other questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by elite1msmith, Feb 9, 2011.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

does western make a joystick for the wideout? i HATE handheld controls. if not, does blizzard? and would it be compatable?

also, if you installed a wideout on a truck, and for some reason had to put a straight blade on in the middle of a storm, is any part of the wiring the same? how about the light harness and main power plug?

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

if you go on westersn website and use the quickmatch you can select the joystick controller and it gives you a part #. I was wondering the same thing. I would think some of the wiring would be the same but I don't have a wideout and don't know anyone who does. How do you ike the wideout?

3. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Western Wideouts use a 2-plug system like the MVP Plus plows. One plug is for lights and the other is for power/controller. The power plug now has 4 pins, 2 large and 2 small. The two large are your +/- and the small pins are a low current electrical signal sent from the controller it's called multiplex. Wideouts are interchangeable with an MVP Plus plow since they both use the same system. Newer model straight blades are going to use the same technology and instead of the typical 3-plug system on many Ultramounts, they will become 2 plug systems. I have not seen a 2 plug straight blade system yet, maybe someone can chime in where production/development is on those.

Right now you can't interchange the Wideout with a straight blade. You can interchange it with an MVP Plus. In the future, you should be able to interchange with a straight blade.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

no joystick is available for the wideout or v plows. a strait blade harness wont run the wideout either.

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Not totally true, there is a joystick for a vplow and it works for the wideout too.

6. no lead

give us a part number. or a picture.

7. deicepro

That will have to wait til tomorrow, but when my handheld quit on my wideout I used a joystick from my dealer until he got a new control for me

8. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

96400 for MVP Plus and Wideout

controls4_bg_4.jpg

9. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

So you can not control a straight blade with a Wideout or MVP wiring?

10. deicepro

No..........

11. no lead

i love this site.

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have an F550 that will run Wide-out & MVP Plus two plug (on the same controller) and then the MVP three plug and any ultramount straight blade three plug! I have five plugs coming out of my grill but I can run them all. Of course any good Western guy will know that to use the plows effectively they must be configured for correct ellevation with the four (three on the HTS) configuration holes in the swivel plates. I don't actually use my truck for plowing (until I get my own plow) but what I do is hook up for delivery and service etc. At my shop people don't want to leave their trucks when they get plow service so I built mine up to accomadate that need. They drop off their plow and then I hook up and bring it in the shop.

All I did was order a few extra cables. Of course the control cable for the two plug system works for both the Wide-out and the MVP Plus so that was a no brainer. Next I installed the straight blade control harness and the main power cable & relay. Finally I installed the regular MVP control cable, you know, the one with the big black canon plug with all the wires you have to put in. Yes I do have to go under the hood and change one plug over connecting the headlight harness to the correct control harness but I am working on either a switch or a parralel hookup for that too.

My point is that it certainly can be done for a few $ and some ingenous wiring. In your case all you need is the power cable & relay and the straight blade control cable. You will have four plugs in the end. Two power cables, one switched by the relay for straight blades and the other unswitched with the multiplex communication wires. Then the others will be the original headlamp plug (used on all plows) and then the straight blade control plug (not required when you have a Wide-out or MVP Plus as these two are multiplexed and control is in the power cable)

As for the joystick, that one shown above is correct, 96400. If you just go through the quick match on the Western site and plug in your vehicle and plow selections it asks you if you want joystick or handheld control. When you say joystick this model comes up for both wide-out and MVP plus but this does not work for straight blades.

13. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Will future straight blades be able to be controlled by the Wideout or MVP wiring. Was thinking of switching to Western from Blizzards. I like being able to pull up to any plow and use it.

14. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Any idea on the average cost of the Joy stick controller for the wideout

15. no lead

looks like $350 plus tax.

16. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Have seen the joystick online for $250 + shipping...and one just sold on ebay for $180...I know because was looking at buying it for a spare! Google search - western 96400 joystick

Yes, DD is going to the multiplexing technology on their straight blades which should allow for complete swapping capabilities, you'll just need the correct controller to use the full features of the blade.

17. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

18. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

yes they make a joystick for the WIDE OUT. I own one... I just prefer the hand Held. Sell mine for $200.00

19. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Mine is up in the Sale section of the site!

look it up want it GONE!

20. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Here ya go, just saw the two threads side by side in the new posts section. I'll help ya guys out a little http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=119575