1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joining the ranks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KcAreaFF, Oct 13, 2002.

1. KcAreaFF

KcAreaFF Junior Member

Well, after quite a long time of just viewing this forum and not actually posting, I'm finally joining the ranks of many in here. Next Wednesday, Oct. 18th my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 will be getting a Western 7.5' Standard plow installed. Looking forward to my first season as a plow operator (will be plowing for a longtime family friend who has been in the plowing business since the early '70s). Now all I have to do is wait for the white stuff to start falling so I can really begin to enjoy this!! :D Any suggestions or comments on my setup, truck, plow, or just about any subject (related or not) will be appreciated. Thanks and stay safe out there.

P.S. I'm in the Kansas City, MO metro -- looking forward to meeting some people from the same area
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Welcome to Plowsite.

Lots of information to absorb here on Plowsite.

I wish you success and also fun in your venture.

Now if we can only get some decent snows!!!!

From Shawnee Mission on the KS side.
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite.:waving:
    Congrats on the new Western, should give you many years of service.
    Surely this year us midwesterners will get some real snow to go play in.
    Good luck,
    Mark K
  4. Mark4

Mark4 Junior Member

Good Luck,get ready for some long hours .have lots of coffee ready. Westerns a great plow

5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plow size

Unlike other issues we face in life, plow size does matter.

7.5 is not wide enough to clean up with when you are angled either full left or angled full right. The plow will be narrower than your wheel base in that position. You will be forever cleaning up little piles crushed by your rear wheels, costing you much additional time and money !

Get a wider blade.

Remember, when it comes to snow plow width "go large and be in charge"

and if customers don't pay you when you are done:

"It is no sin to pack them back in"

Have a great time, and get a good thermos.
  6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Welcome aboard!!
  7. KcAreaFF

KcAreaFF Junior Member

Thanks for all the "welcomes". I really appreciate it! Tommy, I'd LOVE to go with a bigger plow, but the Western dealer says that 7.5' is all the bigger I should probably go...I could probably switch brands, but the guy I'm plowing for has used Western for years, so we figured best to go with a familiar product. Not TOO worried about it because for awhile, I'm gonna be paired up with a mid '80s Blazer w/ a 7.5' Western also, so we'll be "mopping up" together. Ultimate goal is to go bigger truck, bigger plow eventually (course isn't that EVERYONES goal?!) :D Just saw on the news tonight that this mornings low of 31 was the coldest it's been here in KC since April 5th!! It's about time things are getting back to normal!:D
  8. turfguy

turfguy Member

8.0 vs 7.5

My local western dealer told me that there is no recomended 8ft hd plow for the chevy 1500 .your only choice is the 7.5 ...strange because boss has a 8ft plow thats nearly the same weight that fits the 1500. my 2500 pushes the 8ft fine but for driveways a 7.5 can do very well. keep your tranny clean ,cool and you can get many years out of your truck...good luck!
  9. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

While I wish I had an 8' or even better a 8.5' V, I have a 7.5' Fisher on my Ram quad cab long box and it works fine, even with my long wheel base and poor turning radius.