1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Tractor Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEAL, Jan 10, 2001.

1. NEAL

NEAL Member

Does anyone use a John Deere Tractor with a hydraulic plow? Im Talking about a smaller Garden Tractor type. I saw a guy the other day using one and got this cool idea of trying to put one on an atv. I do not know if this is possible but I bet you guys can tell me.

2. Iceman

Iceman Member

We started using a guy that has an atv with a 42" blade to plow sidewalks ahead of our plow trucks on commercial jobs. So far it has worked out well. Much faster then shoveling and a whole lot easier. His blade was bought from Polaris but I see alot of other manufactures selling them.
    He has a winch on the front and uses it to lift and lower the blade. Slick.
    He was salting with the thing to(rear mounted hopper, electric drive), but apparntly,it wasn't built heavy enough to stand the work load and broke the second time out.
  3. NEAL

NEAL Member

Thanks Iceman I know that Cycle Country and Moose sell plows for ATV's and I have tried a few myself. What I don't like about them is that the push tubes mount in the middle of the machine so you cant stack snow. The plow only lifts off the ground maybe 6-8 inches. Plus you have to manually get off and change the blade angle. What would be ideal is a hydraulicly lifted and angled plow for an ATV. That is why I would like to find out if it is possible to work the deere hydraulics off of an ATV. I would fabricate a mount myself for the plow but its the hydraulics that I dont know a thing about.

4. steveair

steveair Senior Member

I finally got around to mounting a John Deere plow on my toro dingo. Its a 52"(or 54, can't remember). Just finished it about a day ago, so still haven't tried it out.

It had power angle and power lift, so I removed the power lift (being as the loader does that now) and am in the process of getting some hoses set up for the angle. For now, I have the hydraulics removed and will angle it manually.

I also have chains ordered for the tires, as I imagine I will need them to push the plow.

As for the atv, not sure how the hydraulics will work. Sounds like, if it has a pto, maybe a seperate pto mounted pump with a control bank set up on the side somewhere may be the best way to go, but probably will be a few bucks.

Power angle is not needed so much for walks, but real nice for larger areas so you can do a pass on the return run instead of backing up all the way again to make another pass.

[Edited by steveair on 01-10-2001 at 07:28 AM]
  5. NEAL

NEAL Member

Yeah, actually I dont plan on using for walks. Here in town there are a ton of little drives. A truck is kinda too big and a snowblower takes too long. An ATV would be perfect and I will Most likely just use a blade made for it but it sure would be nice and faster to have hydraulics.

6. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I have a 425 AWS with a John Deere 54 inch plow on it. The plow itself cost about 150.00 but that is just the plow with a spring loaded mount. The angling and lift is done by a quick tach unit mounted on the tractor. It is used for the blade,blower,sweeper,detatcher,debris blower,etc. I do not recall how much that cost, but if you could mount that on your ATV you would just have to figure out how you want to do the hydraulics. Maybe you could have an electric pump to run the thing.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I also have a Quick Tach system on my JD 430 tractor. I built a heated cab for it. I have the 54" blade with hydraulic angle and down pressure. I also have the Quick Tach 48" two stage snow blower for it with a hydraulic motor to turn the chute. I have used this for the past 10 years for small areas and next to the garage doors. All of our accounts are very close together, so we just drive it from one to the next. It works great with the tractor type bar tires and 300 lbs of suitcase weights on the 3 point hitch for traction.

Pictures of it are on my equipment page on my website in case you want to see it. The way it is set up with cab and extra weight, it weighs about 2,000 lbs. and will move a lot of snow or dirt. I also have a 4' box scaper for it I could use for a back plow if ever needed. All of our driveways are push offs except for mine, so I never put it on for snow.
  8. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Hey Eric, I'm jealous about the cab. I have an enclosed trailer that I haul mine around so the cab was not an option.:( Not enough clearance. It can get a bit chilly blowing snow on a cold windy night. Then I turn into a snowman and then when I get back into a plow truck all the moisture fogs up my windows for about 10 minutes.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Mine will fit in my Hallmark trailer. I would rather have a cab and an open trailer than the way your doing it. It's easy to build and it so nice and warm in there. :)
  10. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Things aren't so bad. This year I don't have to use the JD to much. Just for some long sidewalks. When I started it was all I had. It made for a long day outside. This fall I purchased a Ford model 1920 4x4 utility tractor to replace the JD. It has a 7 foot blade on front and a 6 foot blower on the back. Most of the time I don't have the blower on. It's most important feature *****CAB*****. Sorry about the reply's that have nothing to do with the thread, but I'm just trying to pump them out there. I'm tired of being a junior member.:)

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Neal go to your J D dealer and ask them for the electric
    lift cylinder off of a model 112 (old style heavy duty garden tractor)this is essentially a electric operated ram.
    i see no reason it wouldnt work mounted to angle a blade.
    allthough i do not know how expensive it will be.
  12. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member