1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere sub compact loader or Gator for parking lots and driveways?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Spotts, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

Im a contractor who owns enough property I need to begin to do my own snow removal. So I am going to use my extra guy and begin a small snow removal service on the side. No one does even a half assed job of it here, bunch of leaky ol ram pickups with blades who show up when they feel like it...... But for a one vehicle show, I'm wondering which will be best. I have a friend who will sell a small John Deere 4wd sub compact loader, but a Gator if they move snow well, could also elk hunt and we could have fun at the cabin in during the summer..... But mostly I need to move snow. I need a tool. My office complex I have to do the street for customers, the parking lot and a thousand feet of sidewalk, big sidewalk. My shop is another 10,000 sq ft parking lot. I dont want to buy a snow tool and wish I had bought another. What would you buy as an all around snow machine?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It sounds like you've already made up you mind on the Gator which isn't a bad thing. From what you're describing it should handle the task with no problem. FWIW my family ranches in Wyo and they use XUV 825i Gators which hold up much better than any other UTV in that class. (Polaris, Kawa,etc...). I would recommend getting power steering, and a cab with heat/defroster they're well worth the money.
    I would strongly advise you don't get a plow that isn't fully operated by hydraulics. The UTV accessory mfr's plows a light weight, use a winch or actuator motor to raise/lower the blade and angling is typically manually done or with a actuator motor. I would go with a Boss V plow http://www.bossplow.com/product-selector (I run a Boss V on my pick up). The V with allow to carry/scoop and relocate snow, the V will also help break through the windrow left by the city when/if they plow. OJ Watson in Greeley or Denver are distributors that also do counter sales, I'd call them to get an idea of cost. You'll want to throw some weight in the bed of the Gator as counter weight / ballast and traction. I wouldn't use tire chains, you'll just snap half shafts.

3. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I don't have any personal experience with either of these but here's a couple of V-Plow options to check into. It looks like they are the same plow just re-branded. I think I read the SnowEx is around $4,000.
    http://www.snowexproducts.com/product/utv-v-plow/

4. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Found a SnowEx video, start both videos at the same time and it's obvious they are the same plow.

5. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

Buff, no I was actually leaning toward the small tractor, it could be handy up at camp too. But now it sounds like the Gator may be a great machine?

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well I missed that by a ways..... LOL
    Compact tractors are great for walks and homeowner use. They're slow, the ride has a lot to be desired and if you don't need one around your place for anything besides snow it's a one trick pony.
    My experience with Gators is from the ranch using them for various chores but not plowing snow and my family is not real easy on them. I do have a ATV with a 60" plow which is where I have experience with winch used for up/down and manual angling. It has it's place but wouldn't be as effective as UTV for what you plan to do.
    SnoEx and Fisher is owned by the same company and they share common things. I went to the SIMA show this summer and saw the SnowEx, Fisher and Boss UTV line up. Overall all I think the Boss is a better built plow (some guys use them on Jeeps) out of the three. The down fall with the Boss is its a full trip vs a trip edge. Watch this video about 2.20min in your see what I'm talking about. Boss has a dual trip plow which both the edge and moldboard trips but this is only for pick up plows.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

When you say compact or sub-compact, what exactly are you referring to?

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I was assuming a "pocket" tractor like you have for walks.

9. Mark Oomkes

Well, I wasn't going to assume. But since you're a bigger assumer, that's fine by me.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well buckaroo..... Ootwest tractors under 60hp are considered compact....:nod:

11. Mark Oomkes

Lol...I would agree.

12. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes it would be slow and cold.
    Keep in mind a Gator, with cab/heat and a Boss/Fisher/SnoEx plow will run over $20K. But you can it use off season as you mentioned earlier.

Spotts likes this.
  14. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

I really appreciate your input here Buff. I now have the choice of Polaris, Kubota, or John Deere. It seems 4 rivers equipment is the best dealer out there. Im gonna meet with them tomorrow. Then Ill find the blade dealers you mentioned.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Steer clear of the Polaris, my wife's Grandpa runs XP900's on his ranch and they don't hold up like the Gator. The majority of the issue's are lack of maintenance but others are design flaws. The Polaris Ranger is more of a recreation buggy.
    The Kubota is the best UTV out there, it's truly design/intended for work use. For running around the mtn's it has downfalls, Weight, Ground clearance, max ground speed of 25mph and suspension travel is much less too. Just more food for thought.

Spotts likes this.
  16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

mf 30-40 hp tractor, with hard cab, heat, a/c up to you, quick attach protec on loader, 3 pt blower on back for problem areas

17. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

So.... Coming home from the mountains I saw a 4wd jeep and wondered gator or Used Jeep?

18. Spotts

Spotts Junior Member

That what u use? Sounds spendy....

19. Mark Oomkes

If it's betwixt a Gator or anything less than a 3 Series Deere, maybe even 4, go with the Gator.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That's a good question and probably the better way to go in your case.