1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tntstinomite, Jan 17, 2011.

1. tntstinomite

tntstinomite Junior Member

I'm looking to get a John Deere garden tractor and was wondering if I should get a blade or single stage snowblower to clear the snow with? I've used one with a plow but never seen a single stage one work. Also, how well does the single stage clear down to the ground?
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Blower works better. But you need a 2 stage one on it. Blade is fine for first snow, but after you get a burm of snow then they suck.
  3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

One of each. Blade will be faster in a small snow but will be tough in a big heavy snow. Blower will be good in the heavy snow but is slower. Get the blade for the light stuff or slushy wet stuff and a 2-stage blower for deep snow, skip the single stage blower. JMO
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

In case you're wondering, John Deere calls their single stage blowers a "snow thrower" and their 2 stages are called a "snow blower". Knowing those terms will help you when it comes time to do searches for parts and used units.
  5. Siegs

Siegs Junior Member

I drive a John Deere 3520 with an HLA blade on the front and a 2 stage blower on the back. Its a fantastic machine, incredibly useful and maneuverable. In heavy snowfalls you can use the blower to clear a path and the blade to scrape. Also, I haven't had much trouble with pushing back burms with my blade, as long as I have a little bit of speed, though the blower works great for that too.

Its also excellent for doing large numbers of condo driveways, even in heavy snowfalls, due to its fantastic maneuverability and the ability to use the blower. The ROPS is extremely high visibility also, which makes it easy to do tight spots.

There are issues with getting all the way down with the blower, but I would recommend sticking both on, it has excellent downforce on the blade, gets a great scrape if you take the time to use downforce.
  6. fnltch

fnltch Junior Member

Get a john deere garden tractor with a drive shaft and run the two stage it will blow anything in its way heavy wet light fluff and even water if needed to clear low spots. Some guys in the area run the thrower but it really limits the distance you throw it when it is wet heavy snow. They are easy to maintain and parts don't wear bad on them the flighting on the throwers get thin when you use them a lot commercially. augers don't wear like the flightingon throwers.
  7. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Single stage does well with most snow, but as it gets wet it will plug. Slushy stuff forget it. If it doesn't plug it will only dribble out the chute. Really slushy stuff a blade is the best. I have a old 72 140H1 JD I dabble with, It is 14 horse tractor and blowing is pretty hard on it. I'd suggest an something bigger like a 318 or 400 series in the older models or what ever is equivalent these days with a two-stage blower.