1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banksy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I finally got my John Deere 265 17hp tractor running and it runs mint. It won't stay running without the battery connected. Is that normal for these tractors? It's the first engine I've ever seen that does this.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It begs the question--Why would you want to run any motor without a battery?
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I don't want to. I was using my jump box to start it before I got a battery, but when I disconnected it the engine shut down. I have a battery in there now, but I just thought that was odd. Kind of like a car with a bad alternator, the car would run until the battery died.
  4. kikengrass

kikengrass Junior Member
    from Alb, NY

electric fuel solenoid or something like that how old is the tractor
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not sure of the year, but this model was made from 1987 to 1994. The fuel pump runs off crank case vaccuum. Oh well, it runs excellent, so I won't worry about it.