1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere, no spark

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banksy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have a 199? John Deere 265 lawn tractor and it doesn't have any spark. It has the 17hp Kawasaki single cylinder. I thought it was a bad coil so I bought a new one and still nothing. An inline spark tester shows a very dim flashing bulb, so there's a little electricity being made I guess, but no spark at the plug and the plugs brand new. The flywheel has magnitism, but maybe it's not strong enough??? Any suggestions, I'm stumped. :help:

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It could be the gap between the magneto and the engine is too far apart. Try and re-adjust it to where a piece of paper will slide in and that is it. Probably isnt receiving enough juice from being that far away.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have it set at .010 of an inch. The smallest size on my feeler gauge. I even tried going out to .013 of an inch and nothing. I do have the kill switch wire to the coil disconnected so it eliminates all the kill switches on the tractor. No difference if it's connected, just a little flash on the spark tester. The spark tester is good, my Murray mower runs with it on.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Battery not cranking it enough? Even if it's fully charged it might not be put the cranks out.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It takes a car battery, not the little regular tractor battery. The battery is fully charged and cranks it over just fine. I hate electrical anything :gunsfiring:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Safety switch?

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's what I was thinking originally and that's why I took the whole safety switch system and ignition switch out of the system. So basically I've made it so if the engine were to start, you couldn't shut it off. The spark system is very basic...goes flywheel, coil, plugwire and spark plug. I was thinking I would just take all that mess out of the way to start with and work backwards. :dizzy:

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind 1 in 10,000 new parts are bad right out of the box. I have been Mr 10,000 a few times! The new coil or wire may be bad right out of the box. look at the test procedure for car coils using a VOM meter. It will give you an idea of what the primary and secondary resistance values should be. Are you sure you are getting gas and it's good?