1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere lawn tractor issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banksy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have an early 90's JD 265 lawn tractor with the 17hp vertical shaft Kawasaki. I put in a new ignition switch and it started right up and runs like new. I don't have a battery, so I use my Black and Decker jump box to crank it.

Here's the problem: The engine shuts down if you turn off the jump box. If you leave the jump box connected and turned on, the engine will run great. I'm stumped, but maybe it's possible the motor is not making it's own spark electricity. Any ideas?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My dad has the exact same mower and has had that same problem. The fix was simple, just clean the battery terminals and replace the cables. Obviously a properly charged battery helps too.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks. It's the strangest thing. When it first happened, I went crossed eyed. LOL I expect it to just stay running.

I have a complete extra engine if I need to rob parts.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. keitha

keitha Senior Member

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks a lot. Ill check it out.
  6. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

You need a battery in the thing even if it doesent hold a charge it will complete the circuit and keep the voltage needed running through so it will run