1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

john deere 5065m

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wewille, Jan 24, 2010.

1. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Hey guys I think im coming close to the the purchaseof a brand new John deere 5065m. Im just wondering what size blade i should be able to use. From the research ive done a 10 foot is about the max for a 65 horsepower 4x4 tractor. I guess my biggest concern is will this tractor be cabable of all aspects of snow plowing and removal? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I would suggest you bump up 2 more levels to a 5085M... the 65 and 75 have 5 banger 3 litre skid steer motors... the 85-95-105 have 4.5L tractor motors.... I've always learnt there no replacement for displacement :drinkup:

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Which ever way you go your going to want to add weight. Wheel weights and maybe a weight box on the 3pt.
    Robert

4. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I really apreciate the responces guys. I will definitly look into the 5095 im going to check out the price difference tomorrow. I was under the understanding howerver that with these tractors i am more likely to run out of traction before i run out of power? I realize it all depends on the ground conditions but if that is the case will weights take care of that or is that more for loader counterbalance? Also what tires should I get? I am thinking the ag tires will be far superior to the industrial tires? This machine will almost be exclusively snow removal on moslty flat parking lots. Once again i really apreciate the respnces and im going to look into the bigger engines and i will get some sort of weight box! Thanks again fellas!

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Peterbilt runs a 5000 series you should PM him, I have never owned one so I can't comment.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I would think that ag tire would be better than industrials.

Check this site out, they have hundreds of threads about tractor tires.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Tractor tires are hands down better then industrial.

8. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I will send peterbilt a pm tonight, and thank you for the link on the tire information, it looks like I have alot to read! The 5065m they have sitting on the lot has ag tires so thats good, im not sure about the size... I never realized all of the different options they have for these tractors, it can get a bit confusing and very expensive! I really apreciate everybodies input as im sure as this deal progresses ill have more questions so once again thanks for the input.

9. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a 5525 Deere....loaded full cab etc. older version of what you are considering

I plow with a Horst Welding front blade 9' works great

tires....I do a lot of mowing and lite ag with mine.....no tillage.....tire I chose was ideal for that plus super for snow.

Nokian TRI-2 great tyre....looks like a snow tire directional radial.....works great in fields too...self cleaning etc.

check them out....expensive but nice

http://www.nokianheavytyres.com/

10. cretebaby

Post a picture of that sweet tractor.

11. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Thanks for your input! I think your tractor has the bigger engine of the one i am looking at and i am wondering do you run out of power when plowing or do you lose traction first? Would you order anything different? Is that more than enough power? Thanks in advance! Yes Nokians are awesome especially in the automotive world, i will definitly look into those I agree with CRETE throw some pics up please!

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Well today I priced out a 5095m same options the only difference is the bigger motor. It was an 8,000 dollar difference. So im thinking 65 horsepower should do the trick and handle a ten foot pusher or blade? Im sorry i keep asking, but its alot of money, over 50 grand and i wanna make sure I do it right. So i appreciate all of your thoughts so far everybody!

13. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We purchased a 5083 and love it. Price was pretty close to a 7040 Kubota. We put a 8611 Power Plow on it (frame mount) so we did not buy the loader. We did not spend any more $$$ than for a 1 Ton 4wd diesel dually with plows. You might want the additional horsepower for a pusher.

14. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

haven't run out of power ever....loose traction once you get into a heavy large pile but that same thing happens with my Deere loader, that's twice the size so no matter.

plows awesome.....tires are unreal....traction both in mud and snow, little damage to turf, super on asphault and at high speed (radials, directional) and they are self cleaning....expensive but you get what yo pay for....mine are loaded either

photos.....

070.jpg

P1020159.jpg

P1020155.jpg

15. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

8ft blade on that?

You think you could the horst with the hydro run end plates and still push ok?

16. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

actually switched to a 9' blade when I added a front end loader this year....preferred the Horst euro carrier but ended up needing the loader for summer use.

this unit mainly does roads etc. so end caps not necessar.....I also have a Deere 244J with a ProTech pusher for my commerical sites.

as you can see tires work great....sufficient contact patch (much larger than ags or industrials) plus radial self cleaning feature.

17. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

That looks like the perfect machine. Real sharp looking... give your self a raise, and take the afternoon off.

18. cretebaby

Loader?

Now we need more pictures. :nod:

19. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Green paint + $20,000 and mine would have been a JD too? I've always been JD until this one. Ags yes.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Wow, thats pretty cool you have a tractor and a 244J... Since there pretty close in price and somewhat comparable, What do you like better, which one pushes more snow and makes more money?

I like both but dont know which one to buy