1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 5055E, 5075E, questions..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by classiclawncare, Apr 2, 2015.

1. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Hey,

I currently have a JD 3520 tractor with a 72" metal bucket with a metal cutting edge that I use for my smaller parking lots but I am looking to upgrade.

My local dealer has a JD 5055E & a 5075E leftover pre emmission diesel.

What size pusher box can I put on them? also is there a decent metal cutting edge or stick with Rubber?

Both machine are the same size and weight about 6,000lbs but one has 55hp and the other 75 hp.

Thanks

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

No more than an 8' pusher, they will struggle with a 10'

3. classiclawncare

ahh k k thats what I was thinking. Is there a good metal cutting pusher out there? or stick with rubber

4. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have a 5083E with a 10' pro-tech rubber edge and it has absolutely no problems with it. Tractor has loader and weight box on back, no weight in tires. Longest run that it does is about 800'.

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine has a 5075 that runs an 8ft plow with wings. It does great but I would not run a pusher wider than 8ft.. his plow is frame mounted so the only downside is it can't stack any higher than a truck. It is very maneuverable and has great visibility.

6. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

There is quite a difference between an 83E and the 2 models he was mentioning.

7. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 9/14 Horst on my 75 and it handles it with ease. As long as you have traction you should have no issues.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I know a 75 hp tractor will struggle with a 9-14... my 110hp kubota struggles pushing a 10-16 on the heavy wet snow.... for short pushes 200' and under I understand but for anything 800+ feet forget about it

It's all about weight tho, hp means nothing... 75 hp could push a 16' plow just the tractor doesn't weight enough to get enough traction

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd love to run that for a winter. Be a super machine for HOA's and parking lots alike.

You must have the piss weighted out of it . That tractor only weighs about 6300 pounds in factory trim. How long are your pushes?

10. Jimbuilds

Jimbuilds Junior Member

I have a 2014 5055e cab with 553 loader and sb1280 blower on back. I have weight in tires and I wouldn't hesitate to use a 9' blade/ push box on front if mounted to loader.

11. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Back tires are loaded and it has an 8 foot box on the back for pulling driveways. It is only used in condo developments so pushes are maybe 300 feet at most.

12. classiclawncare

Ok great it sounds like a 8' is the way to go. Jimbuilds- How come you went with the 55 instead of the 75?

13. Jimbuilds

Jimbuilds Junior Member

Simplest answer is price. My dealer wanted $8000 more for 5075. I got a great deal on the 5055. Only difference is tires and turbo size and injectors. I thought the 55 engine May last longer with less boost. Hydraulics, wet clutch, power reverser 12 speed etc are all the same.

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Jimbuilds-- what are your average snowfall amounts, or pushing every 2-3 inches with the storm? What type of snow most of the time? Powder, wet etc...

We're really considering a tractor for next winter is why I'm asking. Most of the 5 series Deere's I've seen are at least an 83/85 but that's generally up in lake effect country in Michigan.

15. Jimbuilds

Jimbuilds Junior Member

We have had over 16 feet of snow this year. I've blown and plowed 36 snow events this season. Our snow is light usually but we can get wet heavy snow maybe 20% of our storms. Usually I blow snow with the tractor and it usually has no problem with power. As far as plowing snow I have an 8' blade on my truck and it usually has no trouble with the heavy snow unless it is over 1 foot push. Most of my plowing and blowing is done near the end of storms unless it lasts over 8 hrs. I only have one large lot that is cleaned out more than once per storm to accommodate shift changes. I really like using blower on tractor to help minimize tall snow banks especially this year. You will be amazed with what a tractor can do, usually a Deere is much heavier than a Kubota and I think the weight helps.

16. Chesapeakeice

Chesapeakeice Junior Member
    from 20602

Jim I think you made a good choice. I used a JD 5045e last year with 540 loader and a deere 9 foot plow last year. Used it plow parking lots and 12 miles of roads in residential areas for the local county. I never had any horsepower issues in dry or wet snow with only 45 hp but managed to tweak the loader arms on a man hole the only drawback was no cab. 20 hours out in the environment is tough on the body. I upgraded to a 5115m this year with a deluxe cab, what a difference to plow in a t shirt, and 20 pus hours was not a problem. Good luck with the new machine.