1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 4720 snow pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroTurf, Dec 5, 2007.

1. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

I will be receiving a new 4720 tractor with the factory installed cab late next week. While there the dealer said Frontier is now offering snow pushers that will match up to the Deere quick change loaders. The 4720 is 58 horse is a 9' or 10' pusher too much for it? The tractor will have fluid filled rear tires for traction and weight.
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a Deere 4520. I use a 8 ft box on it. I have 4 rear wheel weights, and an 8 ft woods blade on back.

In heavy snow it WILL NOT PUSH my 8ft Box! Just spins the tires.

Our tractors weigh the same and mine is like a 50 horse and yours has a bit more. It all comes down to the weight of the tractors. So if I am spinning the tires with an 8ft you will for sure spin the tires wih a larger unit.

But. Like I said above I was in realy heavy crap (Water/Sleet/Water/Ice/Sleet) All mixed together. looked like a 2 inch deep dirty margarita all over the ground. that was frezing and thawing every Hour. If it were just in a normal snow (If there is such a thing) I think mine will do OK. But as for a larger unit. NO WAY. 8Ft is all it might handle.

I am having a 7Ft snow bucket made for it just in case.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

it's not the HP, it's the weight.
    if that's a compact (nobody understands JDb number system) you are probably at maybe 5000/6000lbs, even with filled tires, not enough to run a 9'er
    I'd go with an 7 or 8' blade. (a box can really fill up and just stop, at least with a blade you can dump it to one side if it starts to stop)
    Also, gearing matters, hydrostats won't put as much HP to the ground as a geared tractor and can more easily stall.
  4. I also have the same setup as Jeremy,
    Mine is an 06 4720 with an 8' Protec on the front. I also mounted an old Kewanee 8' rear blade on it. I need to get hyd. angle setup on the blade, then I would damn near bet that the blade would see just as much work as the box.. I ran my box this morning, it did fine in this somewhat lighter snow, but was icy underneith. I noticed that you can push an entire box full of snow, you just need to be goin at least full speed in B range if not lower speed in C. I was able to push with it in C range, just gotta try and ease into the pedal, not to work the machine too hard. Traction is definately its downfall, I have R-4 calcium filled rear tires and need something more...seems like the fronts also need a little something, I was using the brakes alot to steer the machine. Having a cab, heater, and radio sure is rockin though :nod: Sounds like we are gonna get 2-5 tomorrow sometime so I plan on getting up extra early and playing around in the 4720 myself to get the real feel of things, employees arent much help in that dept..."It spins too much" Funny how I made it work though......
  5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I have a New Holland TN55 (52hp, 6500lb w/loader) 4x4 with a 10' ffc pusher, cab, and a 1500# counterwieght on the back. I can push 6-8" of snow in straight line without a problem to the point where the box is full and it's become a V blade so to speak. We plow in high range 5th gear of 8 depending on snow density and depth. Very rarely do the tires spin.

If your tires begin to spin, slightly raise or curl back the blade transferring the weight of the snow back the the front tires. Raising the blade slightly will not allow snow to pass through when the blade is full.

Once you or your employees get the feel for it you will very rarely spin your tires.