1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John deere 4710 steering problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mross350, Jan 8, 2015.

1. mross350

mross350 Junior Member

we have a john deere 4710 compact tractor and it is very hard to steer especially in the winter. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and if so what is the remedy. I have not dug into this problem yet, I am going to try to get it in my shop tomorrow to see what is going on.

Thanks, Marc

R&M Outdoors LLC
    Indiana

2. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

I assume you have checked your hydraulic levels...and made sure that there was no damage to the hydraulic steering cylinder.

3. mross350

mross350 Junior Member

I have checked the fluid levels, and the steering cylinder looks fine. I talked to the dealer and they said that the suction screen is plugged, so I will be changing the fluid and filters and cleaning the suction screen today although I did all of that 200 hours ago, but I have had many different attachments hooked to this tractor this year so one of those attachments could have had contaminated oil in it.

Thanks, Marc

4. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

Were all the units yours?...or was the "infamous" loaner in that attachment list?...:)

5. mross350

mross350 Junior Member

Yes all attachments are mine but also fit the skid steers which have a different type of oil, but anyway I got it fixed today, it was in the steering knuckle near the steering wheel itself, just lubricated it and all is well, but of course I changed the hydro oil and filters $$$$$ before I figured out it was in the knuckle.

Thanks, Marc