1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 410 E

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenman2ooo, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Doe this machine have any usefulness for snow removal?

It looks like it is a little small for loading a large truck if snow hauling was necessary, but like it would stack and move frozen snow well if necessary.

I had a friend tell me his dad will rent me his for $100 for the day. If I ever get into a pinch and need it, it would beat a rental rate, for sure.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If i remember right the JD 410 E, iis equal to cat 914. Yes it will move snow, and frozen snow. Not as productive and fast as a bigger machine. Only that is a cheap rental rate. I have used my new holland 2160s to move snow back. Doesn't work as well as a cat loader, but they fit in small locations and move snow easily. I have even moved snow back with a kubota 520. The only thing that really won't push bankings back is a really tiny tractor, like a chapsman on steriods size, or a skid steer.

Geoff

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Is it 4x4 I have forgotten if 4x4 was available in the E. If not it may be a little bit of a problem but 2x were used for years,but it will not be as productive.If the machine is the tractorhoe be careful of the boom if you turn very sharp it can be turned into a large sledge hammer destroying garage doors,cars,building eves and such.I'll take one over a shovel anyday.

4. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

4x4

The one I was refering to was not 4x4, but my friend's boss has a 4x4 that is similar that he rents for $150 per day.

In a heavy storm, would having an operator for that machine and me plowing, with them restacking the snow be a feasible plan of attack? What kind of snowfall would justify this type of plan with a 4 acre lot?

Would that machine with a 1.5 yard bucket (a guess at bucket capacity) be worth trying to do some "plowing" in the lot, and under what conditions? Would a truck be much faster?

Is there a way that I could coordinate one truck and this machine to make my life easier if we get dumped on?

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok how loaders are used.

For us at least.

Some lots a loader is our front end attack piece.
    Other lots are completly done with trucks.

For the lots that are done with trucks, we will just plow as normal and as the banks began to sneak in, we use the loader to push them back. One some lots it is included in the bid, others lots it is an extra charge billed out ( we decided if we need the loader or not, also in the contract)

During a heavy storm, where we know a loader is going to be needed we take short cuts while plowing (short cuts means making temporary piles, in different parts of the lot). Then we use the loader to clean everything up.

I would spend the extra 50 bucks for the 4X4. The only time ya need a loader is when you are going to move snow back. However try to stay friends with the guy, if you decide to buy a pusher next year, maybe you could get away with renting a loader only on the days ya need to use the pusher.

Geoff

6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I agree with Geoff, if it is not a 4X4 then I would say it would not be all that good for snow work, it would probably work but not be anywhere near as good as four wheel drive. A few years ago we leased a Case 580 superE 4X4 and put a 12' pusher on it. We had no problem with it, I know it was a little underpowered but it still did the job, as for loading snow or pushing back snow banks most of that work is by the hour so who really cares if it takes a little bit longer its just more money in your pocket. Our Case that year had no problem loading six and ten wheel dumptrucks. Just my two cents.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

One year I had my 580C case 2WD on a car lot with a 1yd bucket and i had no problem had to put snow over 8' fence and pile it high>If you know how to run the machine you will have no problem.It' the guy that doesent run a machine that gets it stuck.But will nevere be as eficent as a wheel loader.

8. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Like I have said before the 4x4 systems on tractorhoes I think are much better than nontraction control or nonlimited slip system wheelloaders they seem to have alot more wheel turning.We use 14 ft pushers on our machines, 416c Cats.

9. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

4x4 loader

My mistake. That is, in fact a 4x4 for $100 per day. Actually, his boss's loader is the 4x2 for $150 per day, go figure. He and I discussed three different machines and I have no knowledge whatsoever of models, hence the confusion. Logically, I thought the 4x4 was more.

He says it is a "bad boy." I am going to take a look at it at a jobsite tonight. I'd like to measure the bucket so I know its capacity, so I'm going to measure it.

He says the bucket takes up a lane of traffic. Would this machine compare favorably in plowing productivity to a 3/4 ton truck?

For what its worth, he said he's used junk old loaders and they pushed snow pretty well for him. However, he wasn't trying to make a living at it. :)

10. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Deere 310E

The bucket on that 310 E is 7' wide. Is that machine as set up useful for plowing? It looks like it would be fine for stacking, but I wonder how that bucket would work. Is it too small to be useful?

11. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We own a 310 C series John Deere and it is used year round. With the standard 90" bucket, you will find yourself getting frustrated with the low production in plain plowing. We reserve ours mainly for pushing banks and loading trucks. With a standard bucket, they can not compete with our Boss vees. I don't have experience with pushers, but I can see where they would make a great difference. Beware that off-camber plowing with a backhoe is not for the faint of heart. Weeeee.

The price of $100/day is very good, circa $2,000/month. I would not let mine go out of the yard for that rate: it is almost a gift. Put the hook on it.

Come to think of it, if he will rent it for that rate, how much will he sell it for?? Does he take trades?

John