1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 3320 w/ Push box?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by erkoehler, Aug 22, 2010.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

2007 JOHN DEERE 3320, Year: 2007, Hours: 265, Power: 33, Operators Station: Cab, Axle: MFWD, Transmission: Hydro, Loader: Yes,

Ok, someone educate me......how big of a push box/plow could you put on this? Is there a size push box vs. tractor horse power sizing table anywhere?

97314531_1thumb_550x410.jpg

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Protech lists the 6 or 7ft compact models as being compatible with that size tractor....Which seems about right.... Do you plan to put something off of the 3point also? Blower? Blade?

3. erkoehler

No plans for anything off the back. Figured that there wouldn't be enough power to handle much more weight back there.

Thinking that a tractor may be better suited than a truck for a grouping for parking lots I've submitted a bid for. Just trying to educate myself before its too late in the game.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would guess 6ft 8ft max maybe not even your unit doesnt weigh much I would hang something on the 3point thats heavy

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'd opt for the 3520 or 3720... both those are turbo charged... IMO the turbo makes a big difference

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I think you would have a hard time with those loader arms if that is how you are going to attach it. You need more weight.

Is this a tractor that you already have? cause if its something you are looking at buying for the price I think a 2 speed skid might be more productive for you.

Its not only the hp its the Weight... the bigger you are the more you can push
    That tractor I would think would be more suited for sidewalks or maybe residential / condo drives then parking lots.

7. erkoehler

http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/2007-JOHN-DEERE-3320-97314531

I was just looking on line and found this 3320 used for 26k, the local dealer has a 3520 that I saw, but I didn't get a chance to talk price with them. They had it displayed with no attachments just the cab.

8. erkoehler

I don't already own it. I would be purchasing the machine specifically for snow purposes.

I was thinking the tractor would be better as the visibility seems better, and I think I could get away with short distances on the road between lots on a tractor where a skid wouldn't have the top speed.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I totally agree.

Another thing...If you are dead set on a compact tractor, I would be looking at 50+ hp models if you plan on doing anything larger than sidewalks or driveways....which you should be able to find (used in decent shape) for that price range. JMO

10. erkoehler

I will have to keep looking and see if I can find something w/ more HP and similar $$$.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

www.tractorhouse.com

12. MIDTOWNPC

I honestly think that the min you filled a 6ft box on that tractor it would start to push you sideways.

Compact tractors are so expensive you can almost buy a bigger one for the same price.

If you have to travel a decent distance Id just go with another truck and get something that is similar to what you already have then you have backup.

Lay out the situation and perhaps we can help more.

For $25 000 and decent distances to travel between sites I would..
    used truck, good tires, new batteries, new boss blade like your other trucks
    if spare change left over look at rear blade(more production if your seasonal) or salter(extra income ;) )

I guess a toolcat would be faster from site to site but I hear about problems.

If distance isnt that big of a deal.. hell I drive mine all over town. Id get a 2 speed bobcat, pusher with a backdrag edge and a standard bucket. something with under 1500 hours should be in the budget. S220? S250 S300 or the cats meow would be the A300

13. erkoehler

The reason for not going w/ a truck was because the potential site has islands all over the place. I know I could definitely do it faster w/ a skid or a tractor. That 3320 might be a bit on the small side, but even stepping up to a slightly larger tractor I think the manuverability will be key to higher efficiency.

Distance traveled isn't too far. About 7-9 minutes by car at 30-40mph. I can do all but 2 miles of it using side streets. I figured the tractor would be easier to navigate the streets with from site to site vs. a bobcat which is slower in my opinion. Also, I think a tractor would alleviate the possibility of tickets for being on the road where people would question the bobcat more and it would draw more attention.

I am just in the planning stages at this point, but know that with the right equipment this part of the snow plow route can be expanded to some pretty large accounts.

14. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Eric, we use a L5030 Kubota in our operation for pulling out condo drives. It works great for that purpose. It could plow small lots but I would never purchase it for that alone. I'm not confident that loader arms on the compact tractors are strong enough to handle the abuse of a pusher.

15. MIDTOWNPC

Ebling on the back. You can get flush with the curb. You wont ever have to turn around.

16. erkoehler

With a 50+hp tractor def. think a back blade would be a huge asset.

On that smaller deere though a ballast kit of some sort would probably be all it would handle. You think it could pull a back blade full of snow and the front box?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure how fast that tractor will go down the road, but it can't be a whole lot faster then say 13ish mph that a 2speed skid can do. And the skid would probably run circles around it in a lot with a pusher.

I don't think that tractor would have the power to pull a full blade and push a full box.

18. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

In a word "No".

For the price a 2sp skid loader would make you a believer. I love ours for snow. Our tractor of comparable size will never see a box. It is used in the winter simply to get used around the barn on occasion. Otherwise it would sit all winter.

19. MIDTOWNPC

I ment on your truck. Add one to your truck and you will smoke thru those islands.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010