1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 318D, 10 foot Pusher/Kage/Wing Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John_DeereGreen, Feb 13, 2015.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Guys, I found a really really good deal on a low hour Deere 318D and I'm considering buying it for a snow only machine. It's 2 speed, before anyone asks. We currently run NH L175's and Cat 242's and those units run 10 foot boxes without any issues. Just regular tires. 2 speed machines.

I'm a little nervous to run a 10 foot box or blade on a unit this size, as it's only 6000 pounds, and it'll be in NE OH where the snow is usually deeper and heavier than in SE OH where my current skid experience is.

From what I've found, it's fairly comparable to a Bobcat S185/S550 and it seems quite a few guys have no issues with traction with 10 foot boxes.

Could I get away with running a 10 foot Kage or 10 foot steel edge (Boss/Arctic/Liveboxx) on this machine with standard tires? I know snow tires will help even more, but I'd rather not buy them unless I need them. Average snowfall is 2-4 inches, sometimes it's powder, sometimes it's snocrete, that's just luck of the draw. The lots it'll be in, average push is around 150 feet and then the snow is stacked, so IMO short pushes. I have no problem throwing counterweights on it, which will bring it up in the 6500 pound range. Chains would be possible as well, but I'd prefer to avoid them if possible.

I'm only considering this unit because it's at a really really good price, and down the road it will be the perfect size machine to put in HOA/condo associations with the Kage/Wing plow. If it won't work with a 10 foot plow or box, to me it's not worth it, as the lots we have are wide open enough that an 8 foot box would be slower than a truck and that to me isn't worth it.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It might push it but I think a 10' Kage will make it pretty tippy. I run a 10' kage on my Tak TL230 and when you've got the arms up in the air a ways you can feel it get light in the rear end. The kage is something like 1500lbs but it's 3'+ out from the machine, not right at the quick attach plate. I think you could easily find yourself facing the ground if you had the arms up from stacking and backed up with some snow stuck in the pusher or shook it hard.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If its THAT good of a price, cant you justify snow tires?..

If equipped w/snow tires & a little counterweight Id say your fine.....without it, you'll fight it on bigger/wetter snows.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would tell you no on 10' but maybe go 9'. They are both gonna make the machine tippy. Snow tires will make the machine grip better, but also make it lighter. Like Mark said with the Kage and SnowWolf the plows are farther from the machine than a standard pusher, maybe just get a 10' pusher box.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

One of our subs ran one for a few years, he held his own pushing a 10ft sectional
  6. mnguy

mnguy Member

I wouldn't use a 318 with a 10ft kage an 8 is as big as i would go also put wolf paws on it. We run 328D's and E's and have 8 foot kages on them. You get one event with ice under snow and you won't be pushing anything
  7. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

A 318 with a 10' will work but you Will not be happy with it. I cut a 10' down to 8' and it is 1000× better. Now that was on a older proTec. The loader still seams to be light in the back. But not as bad wen it was push a 10'
  8. GTMN

GTMN Member

I can't speak to the weight but I would worry about bending the boom. 10` is too big.
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't be a problem to justify snow tires. I run on a pretty simple theory. If something needs something done, it gets done.

I have no doubt it would run a 10 foot Sectional or Liveboxx, and I don't think it would have too much trouble with any steel edge box. It's putting something that hangs out as far as a Kage or hyd wing plow that I get worried.

The tipsy is what I'm worried about. I can weight it up to be the same as a 320, but I'm not convinced it'll run it the way we like to run. I don't have the HOA accounts to need the machine this season, but will have some next season and more the following.

I think something like a 326 would be a better fit for the snows we get. I don't like justifying a purchase just because it's cheap, if it's not gonna do the job then it doesn't matter how cheap it is, I'll just hate the damn thing. Plus a larger machine gives more flexibility to stack and load trucks.

Thanks for the input guys...think I'm gonna let this one go. I don't want to run just a regular push box, kills flexibility if something else goes down.