1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 270 vs Bobcat 873

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Bodgit2, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I'm looking at replacing my older New Holland L553 42hp with low hours with a bigger skidsteer. I was considering a larger used skid like a Bobcat 873G or a Deere 270. Any advice. It would receive farm use, and push a 8 foot snowpusher in the winter doing driveways. My L553 is in perfect condition with heated cab but gets bogged down with the 8 foot pusher.
    Thanks in advance for advice.
    Steve

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

why are you using a pusher for driveways?

up your way I would probably use a blower or a big V-plow with those machines.

873 and 270 should both run a 10foot pusher no problem. I am running a 10foot on my S205.

3. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I use the pusher because most of our snow is sloppy mess that blows poorly. I sold the blower, too much trouble. V plows are used only on sidewalks here, not sure why. Which skid is better for that size/hp? I can't afford a new one but a good used one is in my budget.
    Thanks
    Steve

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

V plows only for sidewalks.....:confused:

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

if he's using the blade for farm yards and drives the pusher is the way to go. I would pick the pusher to do my yard anyday over a blower or V-plow. We don't even actually own a blower anymore because they are a PITA and they are great for doing the drive but are way to slow to do the rest of the yard. We have a JD 320 and it handles an 8 ft pusher very well, so I'm sure the 270 will handle the 10ft. The Bobcat and the JD will both be good machimes.

6. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

We've got a Bobcat 873 high flow. We also have hand controls in it as well. We do hotel lots with it. We have an 8 foot snow bucket and a 7 1/2 ft western plow for it. I know it could handle a 10 foot box or plow if we put one on it. It has lots of power, and will start to snort if you are pushing a long run of super wet snow. We use the bucket and plow with their small size to fit in parking spaces between cars. We are very thorough when it comes to plowing the lots. I only wish that I had the 2 speed on mine. It would make plowing with the blade much easier, since the snow would roll off the end more. The bobcat works well for us, plus we have very good dealer support when needed.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I just never thought to use a pusher for drives. When I think of farm drives, I think of mine 1/4 mile though the woods up and down hills and turns....I wouldnt use a pusher on that.

I still think a 9 foot or largers vplow would be great for drives way up north.

now lots thats a different story! pusher all the way and I would use a 10footer for a machine that size.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would get a 9' snow wolf plow with the wing kit. or the bobcat 9' angle plow with the wing kit. So you can angle the blade for long drives. But used the wings for pusher work when needed on lots.

9. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

This isn't even my thread, but I have a question. Maybe you all can redirect me to a thread where this has been asked b4. But what is so great about a pusher? I have an 8' snow bucket, and I can move a lot of snow. Can they really move more snow than a bucket?

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A pusher will be over twice as fast, you don't need to worry about your bucket catching anything and also you can stack higher. We havn't used buckets since the 70's.

11. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I assume a tire machine is better for snow? Anyone using a track machine with a pusher?
    To answer the pusher vs plow question, I'll give my .02. The pusher holds 7 yards for a 8 foot box. Thats way more than a comparable plow and is faster for the sloppy mess we get here. I would think the snowblower is better for heavy dumps of powdery snow out west.
    Steve

12. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I used a JD CT322 with a 10' pusher last year and will probably use a T190 with a blizzard 8611 next year. It worked ok but different track would have made a difference. The two speed kept the machine moving faster then most. You are right tire machines are the way to go! IMO I would get the 270 because it is a heavier machine. Ignore what JD says it wieghs because they are not even within a thousand pounds. My 240 weighed as much as my friends 863. The 322 didnt even come close to 7800 pounds. Try 10,500 pounds!!!!! Bobcat is very accurate with thier specs and we have also scaled a 185, 763, 730, 843, T180, 863, and 205 the weights where right on! I dont know what you got to tow with but keep that in mind. The 322 made me buy a new truck and traier just so I could tow it! Deere or Bobcat are great as long as your dealer does thier job! Good Luck!

13. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I ended up getting a new bobcat S185 with quiet cab, A/C, Heat and power bobtach. Seems great so far.I plan to use the 8" Protech snopusher with it this winter and multiple attachments this summer.
    Steve

14. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase. Power bobtach is def the way to go. ;)

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

dealer support is everything

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get the John Deere they make an exelant product.

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

he already bought the bobcat

back in JULY

18. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

I have the jd250 with a 9' pusher on it.. works very well.. the 270 will be even better..

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

See below mercer. Day late and a dollar short.

So the JD skid steer is excellent based on your extensive use of one? How about your use of the Bobcat, care to give us your opinion on that?

Or are you still trying to decide between a Snowbear and Snowsport for your Toyo.

Good luck, you'll love it.

20. storm king

storm king Member

Go with the Deere , it 's the only skid steer I have used that you can see good all around and behind yorself, Bobcat is junk in my opinion.....
    Why not go with a small trractor instead , I know skid steers have there place , at least thats what they keep telling me...but I HAVE NOT FOUND A GOOD USE FOR ONE YET .
    Once you try a small backhoe or tractor I can"t see why you would want a short wheelbased bumpy ,tippy ,getting stuck every second ,doing more turff damage than you repair , no ground clearance, bad on off camber , poor visibility,skid loader for anyway, but thats just my two cents.