1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 244

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by B&K LawnCare, Feb 25, 2013.

1. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

We have been looking into getting into a larger piece of machinery. We have looked into buying a tractor or a wheel loader. Our original idea was a tractor with a 14' pusher, but we really like how a wheel a small loader would be able to get into more places. We liked the jd 244 because it has better transport speed than most other compact loaders, it will be traveling between two sites only a mile or two apart. My question is has anyone ran a jd 244 for snow and how do you like it and what size pusher would you recommend putting on one?

2. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm in the same spot, ready to buy one for next season.

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

This doesnt help, but Im interested in one too. I know there is a couple of vids on youtube and it has a 9' Snow Wolf plow on it.

I would say a 10 Ft Box would prob be good for it. Im not sure though.

I am interested in any info anyone has on a small machine like that as well

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1988 jd 84 which was before the 244 . It has a 9 foot horst blade with manual end plates, works good . My opinon a 10 foot pusher would work excellent on a jd 244. tymusic :drinkup:

5. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

how does a 244 compare to a Cat 905?

6. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

We have a John Deere 344H, 2001, about 1200hrs on it now, been a great machine, haven't met anything it can't move. We have a 14' box blade on the front as well as a 2 yard bucket.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking about getting a 304 but the guys that have 344's say it is that much better for snow.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 344j set up with a 12' protech pusher. Excellent set up, pushed great, just wanted bigger so I upped to a 444k and now added a Volvo L70
    The one issue, new they are expensive.

9. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

We have 2 244js and love them. We plan on getting some more for next season. We run 10ft snow wolf fast tachs(box/blade) on them and they work great. We travel all around town with them. They don't travel fast while going up hills but travel 18-20mph otherwise. You could get away with a 12ft box but that would make traveling on roads a pain. If I had to do it all over again I would get a horst blade for them. You can search 244j on YouTube and you will see some of my videos. Hope this helps, good luck!

10. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Never have run a 304, so I couldn't tell you.... I can tell you, that the 344 is a nice all around machine. We use it in the summer to feed the topsoil screen and have a set of pallet forks for it too. In the winter we use it with the box blade, and it's just a beast. Turns very well and is very agile.

11. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

Was it worth getting a bigger machine? Does the 444k have a lot more pushing power? Was it worth the extra power, even with less of a turning radius(rear steer)?

12. Upstate Snow

Upstate Snow Junior Member

We have a 244j and it's not what I thought it would be, the hydrostatic drive really has a lack of power. Road speed may be listed at 18mph in the book, but only down hill. Any incline what so ever and speed drops real quick, to like 10mph. We have a 12ft avalanche on it which it pushes ok, just a little slow. I may just spoiled by the tractors that have much more power & speed.

On the plus side it is very maneuverable & very easy to operate, just wish it had more power & speed

13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

While the 344j turns real tight, the price of the 344 was more than the 444k.Considering I'm loading mulch blower trucks in the off (or main) season, the 344 was too small.

As for the 244; I haven't used that specific machine as I had a L35 Volvo. Talk about a little beast. Would out push trucks any day, visibility is excellent, just good all around machines.You are right, they loose speed going uphill, but so do the large loaders. My tractors might not drop mph going uphill like wheel loaders, however each has it's place.